What Self Learning Book Is Best For Organic Chemistry I?

Confused 20

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
I will be taking Organic Chemistry I in the fall (107 days from today) and am tremendously frightened. I will attempt to get the textbook and syllabus very shortly. Can anybody recommend the best self learning book to assist me in learning Organic Chemistry I as I read the textbook? I have heard from many that Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is the best self help book. Is this true? Are there any books that are better than Organic Chemistry as a Second Language? Also, any input on how I could do well on Organic Chemistry I will be appreciated as well. Thanks to anybody for any input.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
theres alerady a thread on this....Pushing electrons or Orgo Chem as second language seem to have gotten good reviews.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
search!

but yes organic chemistry as a second language by klein is what i recommend. there's two volumes for semester I and semester II. the chapter on acid/base and resonance is VERY helpful. mastering those two will help you for the year.

BlitzSleep

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
D-Town
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm taking Organic in the summer right now and I have Pushing Electrons, Organic as a 2nd language, and Organic Chemistry 1 for dummies. My average with a drop grade is 100, or a 98 without the drop that we get. The funny thing is, I haven't found Pushing Electrons and Organic as a 2nd language helpful at all. The Organic for dummies has helped me and my fellow classmate out the most. It saved me when Sn1/Sn2 and E1/E2 reactions were introduced.

ImBrianFellows

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
You should try, "The Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry: A Student's Guide to Success" by Joel Karty. Like you I was freaking out before I took Orgo I and happened to find this book randomly on Amazon. It's designed to be used before you start actually taking the class. It helped me SO much! I can't recommend it enough.

Myuu

例えば、貴方の名前を忘れてしまうとか。 。。
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Hanging with Darmok and Jalad. In Lothlorien.
Status
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language for the win!

Note: It won't teach you anything beyond the very basic, but it is a great way to get a good grasp of the essentials so that you can make better use of your textbook and lecture.

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
The Shadow Gallery
Status
Pre-Medical
"I wished I had gone to class, but this book sort of helped me learn" was a good one for me. Kidding.....a few of my friends have said the organic chemistry as a 2nd language book helped them

cheezer

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Organic Chemistry as a Second Language for the win!

Note: It won't teach you anything beyond the very basic, but it is a great way to get a good grasp of the essentials so that you can make better use of your textbook and lecture.
I second this. It's an excellent book.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How about using an MCAT review book (like Examkrackers) to learn from? That'd cover it unless you have to know specific mechanisms, right?