What Self Learning Book Is Best For Organic Chemistry I?

Confused 20

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
    I will be taking Organic Chemistry I in the fall (107 days from today) and am tremendously frightened. I will attempt to get the textbook and syllabus very shortly. Can anybody recommend the best self learning book to assist me in learning Organic Chemistry I as I read the textbook? I have heard from many that Organic Chemistry as a Second Language is the best self help book. Is this true? Are there any books that are better than Organic Chemistry as a Second Language? Also, any input on how I could do well on Organic Chemistry I will be appreciated as well. Thanks to anybody for any input.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Medical Student
      search!

but yes organic chemistry as a second language by klein is what i recommend. there's two volumes for semester I and semester II. the chapter on acid/base and resonance is VERY helpful. mastering those two will help you for the year.

About the Ads

BlitzSleep

10+ Year Member
      Jul 27, 2006
      D-Town
      1. Pre-Medical
        I'm taking Organic in the summer right now and I have Pushing Electrons, Organic as a 2nd language, and Organic Chemistry 1 for dummies. My average with a drop grade is 100, or a 98 without the drop that we get. The funny thing is, I haven't found Pushing Electrons and Organic as a 2nd language helpful at all. The Organic for dummies has helped me and my fellow classmate out the most. It saved me when Sn1/Sn2 and E1/E2 reactions were introduced.

ImBrianFellows

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Apr 16, 2008
        1. Medical Student
          You should try, "The Nuts and Bolts of Organic Chemistry: A Student's Guide to Success" by Joel Karty. Like you I was freaking out before I took Orgo I and happened to find this book randomly on Amazon. It's designed to be used before you start actually taking the class. It helped me SO much! I can't recommend it enough.

"I wished I had gone to class, but this book sort of helped me learn" was a good one for me. Kidding.....a few of my friends have said the organic chemistry as a 2nd language book helped them

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.