What should I aim for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LifelongStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a biology major with a 3.8 gpa at a top 50 state university, and I will be taking the MCATs in May of this year. I plan on hitting the books once break ends but I have been reading up on some tips, study habits, etc on here. I have decent ECs including lots of research for being a traditional applicant and volunteer work. My goal is to move to Philadelphia so that leaves Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple (I don't think I am smart enough to compete at UPenn). From experience, what score should I aim for to be a good applicant. Before reading posts on here I felt that a 30-31 was acceptable, but now I feel like I need a 35+. As you can probably tell, I am starting to freeak out just a littttttttttttle

Members don't see this ad.

first do not aim for any specific score. the goal should and always be, 'to get the highest score i can,' and nothing more, nothing less. Having your focus be on the numbers will be not only pointless, but discouraging once you take practice tests.

I think a 3.8 GPA is competitive. You feel you 'arnt smart enough to compete at upenn'? You wont know that until you try. Go for it, its in philly.

Ive said it before, ill say it again... Just drop the hammer.

That's the thing with these boards. You have a lot of overachievers on here that make you feel what YOU thought was a good score really isn't. And personally, I don't think that's a bad thing either. It just pushes everyone to work harder, that's all :).

Generally, 30+ is considered competitive, but it seems like you have a decently structured application. In your case, I would aim for a 35 or more.

As a side note, this is why I'm glad I found these boards really early into my university life. I can keep checking this everyday and find motivation to work harder through the posts I read here.

From College Confidential to SDN! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a practice test right now.

Aim at least 10 points above that if you didn't score a 30.

Just do the best you can!

A 35+ is a great score. There are not that many people walking around with them except on here. :D

I think if you get a 32-33 you are still fine. A 30-31 makes it more a risk but you are still competitive.

Just put in the work, time, and effort and you should be okay with the GPA you have from a good college.

This place can be intimidating for "regular" folk.

Last edited:
If that 3.8 is real (and not the result of grade inflation or a flabby schedule) you should be good for a 32 on the MCAT (10/11/11) or better unless you have some kind of test anxiety problem. Take a few practice tests and then take a few more. The best way to prepare for the MCAT is to take many practice tests and build familiarity with the material and the way it is presented on the test.

If you can manage a 35, your good research experience should get you an interview at Penn. How you do at the interview is up to you.

Do not set a limit for yourself. Throughout your entire preparatory process for the MCAT, your goal should be to do your best. Prepare as well as you can, walk in, and write the test as well as you can. Whatever happens, whatever the results are, you will deal with them when they arrive.

Although the above sounds obvious, I could not reduce my anxiety about the exam until I practiced what I wrote. On test day, I went in with the attitude that I was going to answer what I knew and make educated guesses on what I did not know. I would deal with my results when they arrived a month later.

You could surprise yourself if you do it right. :thumbup:

agreed... aim for the highest grade you can!
also, how are you preparing? and definitely take as many practice tests as you can! thats what helped me the most i think. i took all 8 AAMC's and 5 Kaplan ones as well as as many of the short kaplan tests/quizzes as I could fit before my exam.

I am a biology major with a 3.8 gpa at a top 50 state university, and I will be taking the MCATs in May of this year. I plan on hitting the books once break ends but I have been reading up on some tips, study habits, etc on here. I have decent ECs including lots of research for being a traditional applicant and volunteer work. My goal is to move to Philadelphia so that leaves Drexel, Jefferson, and Temple (I don't think I am smart enough to compete at UPenn). From experience, what score should I aim for to be a good applicant. Before reading posts on here I felt that a 30-31 was acceptable, but now I feel like I need a 35+. As you can probably tell, I am starting to freeak out just a littttttttttttle

Sorry couldn't resist.

As far as preparing, I haven't done too much yet. I plan on starting January 4th (exactly 4 months of prep time). I have been flipping through a Kaplan study book to get a general idea of the exam and what the test questions are like. Additionally, I am enrolled in a Kaplan study class. I will take some practice exams through that class, and I think they give you access to a couple more online. Where else should I look to get practice exams?

Aim for a 45T. Always aim for the best. But whatever the result, accept it as it was your best. :thumbup: