What should I aim to get on the OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ar94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm going into my senior year and I wanted to know what I should aim to get on the OAT to be competitive. I'm going to UMBC in Baltimore for my undergrad.

Here are my qualifications:
- GPA: 3.93
- ~2000 hours of research
- ~70 hrs of shadowing an optometrist
- President of my religious group for my senior year (secretary for the club in my junior yr)
- 220 hrs of volunteering (120 were in a pre-surgery care unit)
- Teaching Assistant for my junior & senior yr
- 160 hrs of tutoring

I hope to get into SUNY--but I don't mind where I get in as long as I get in somewhere. I'm taking my OAT in later October.

What do you guys think I should aim to get on my OAT? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm going into my senior year and I wanted to know what I should aim to get on the OAT to be competitive. I'm going to UMBC in Baltimore for my undergrad.

Here are my qualifications:
- GPA: 3.93
- ~2000 hours of research
- ~70 hrs of shadowing an optometrist
- President of my religious group for my senior year (secretary for the club in my junior yr)
- 220 hrs of volunteering (120 were in a pre-surgery care unit)
- Teaching Assistant for my junior & senior yr
- 160 hrs of tutoring

I hope to get into SUNY--but I don't mind where I get in as long as I get in somewhere. I'm taking my OAT in later October.

What do you guys think I should aim to get on my OAT? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I don't think you'll have any problems getting in. Your stats make you competitive for medical school as well, if that's something you want to pursue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you'll have any problems getting in. Your stats make you competitive for medical school as well, if that's something you want to pursue.

Thank you--I thought about medical school but I didn't like any of the subfields there as much as I did optometry. And thanks Snakedoctor--I'll keep that in mind xD !

Sorry for the sarcasm. I just mean shoot for the stars, baby.

Depends on which school you want to get into. With that gpa you could get by with a 320 for salus. I would aim for 330 or higher.

If you get at least a 300 TS and AA, I would be dumbfounded if you didn't get into every single school you apply to.

Thanks everyone--I really appreciate all your help! :D