What should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patient 48273

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate student, majoring in Psychology. I should be graduating with my BA in two years, but I'm planning to do honours after that. Then, I'd like to apply to a Ph.D or Psy.D program in clinical psychology.

Currently, all I'm really doing to propel myself in that direction is getting good grades and volunteering at a psychiatric hospital.

What else should I be doing?

Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Research experience. Talk to your professors or TAs and see if they have volunteer (or paid!) positions in their labs. Undergraduate research assistants do things like running participants and coding data, often for 5-10 hours a week. As an RA, you can learn a lot about specific projects and about research in general.

Also look into doing a research project of your own at some point, under the direction of a professor. Many students do an undergraduate honors thesis in their fourth year.

Westernsky is right about the work in labs. If you can work in more than one that's even better. Also start thinking about who your letter writers will be. The better you know them the better it looks. A Dr. from the psychiatric hospital would be good (especially if they know you) but generally the best letters will come from professors whose labs you have worked in.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition, if you're considering a research-focused PhD (or even if you're not), consider taking time off. Being a full-time Research Assistant can really propel you and help your vita. (Also it's nice having time off from school! Not appealing to everyone, but was a great decision for a lot of us.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into being a research assistant.:)

I definitely agree with the comments about research experience. I would also recommend doing any independent research you can (i.e. a study you conduct yourself, rather than one where you're helping out a researcher with data coding, etc.), such as an undergrad thesis if that option is available. And try to get your name on publications.

I'm not sure if it's too soon, but perhaps you could start looking over GRE study materials (for both the general and psych). I started studying the summer before my senior year to take the GREs in the fall, and I wish I would have started earlier. That's my two cents.

I definitely agree with everyone that's posted- research experience is extremely important, especially if you want to go for a PhD. For a PsyD, try to get as much clinical experience as possible in addition to research.

Good luck!