What should I do about my PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Hopeamine

Hey all,

So I am at a loss. I have had my PS reviewed three times, and each time, I have gotten the idea that my personal statement is not hitting the points that need to be discussed in a personal statement. I am not sure if I need to make tweaks or rewrite entirely. I don't want to apply without a rock solid personal statement, so I am hoping that someone would be willing to help me out. If I do need to rewrite, I have an outline for a new one, but I just don't know. Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the main ideas in your personal statement? If you want to DM me a copy I'd be happy to read over it and give you my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
1) why do you want to be a doctor

2) what have you done to make that dream come true

3) what do you plan on doing in the future if you get accepted / become a physician

Super easy outline. Not the only way to write a PS, but it's a straightforward approach that can give them a lot of insight into who you are as an applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First, you must make a thesis (Why you want become a physician and why you will to become a good physician) and utilize your evidence towards your thesis (so 3-4 experiences to explain that).

1) Introduction with a hook sentence (something to grab the reader's interest that relates to your passion for medicine)
2) Your body paragraphs (evidence and examples)
3) Conclusion to summarize why a doctor and what will make you a good one (No new information should be added here).

Also be creative and don't be afraid to think outside of the box.

1) why do you want to be a doctor

2) what have you done to make that dream come true

3) what do you plan on doing in the future if you get accepted / become a physician

Super easy outline. Not the only way to write a PS, but it's a straightforward approach that can give them a lot of insight into who you are as an applicant.

i would agree with the first two but not the last one. My original personal statement had that included and when i had it reviewed by my school's committee i got some pretty negative feedback. they could definitely be wrong but those are my cautions to OP

i would agree with the first two but not the last one. My original personal statement had that included and when i had it reviewed by my school's committee i got some pretty negative feedback. they could definitely be wrong but those are my cautions to OP

I could only imagine getting negative feedback if you're overly specific, like you intend on becoming a vascular surgeon in Miami, FL or something like that. Otherwise, stating that you want to use your degree to treat certain population types, work in some kind of research, etc. is hard to criticize someone over.

I could only imagine getting negative feedback if you're overly specific, like you intend on becoming a vascular surgeon in Miami, FL or something like that. Otherwise, stating that you want to use your degree to treat certain population types, work in some kind of research, etc. is hard to criticize someone over.
oh no doubt but i didn't take saying what you wanted to do as a future physician to mean who you wanted to treat or where. I interpreted that as there is a problem in medicine that i would like to fix as a phsician. Don't do the latter.

I found this helpful when writing my personal statement.
Forget about telling me who you are, tell me what you've done.

Five paragraphs:
1) I became interested in medicine as a career because I had experience x.
2) I tested my interest in medicine by doing activity a.
3) I also got involved with b.
4) my interest in science/community servicewhatever lead me to be involved in c.
5) Given my experience with a, b and c, I am more sure than ever than medicine is the best way to use my talents, etc, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Call close friends // family.

Ask them why they think you'll be a great doctor someday.

Ask for specifics

Use this to find inspiration // direction from what 'speaks' to you from what they say

Thanks guys for all the awesome suggestions. I love the LizzyM outline, and I just texted my wife, and parents to spend some time thinking about why I would be a good doc. Also appreciate the topics that lay it out pretty straight forward you guys presented!! I love this site!!! How did docs ever do this before the internet haha

Thanks guys for all the awesome suggestions. I love the LizzyM outline, and I just texted my wife, and parents to spend some time thinking about why I would be a good doc. Also appreciate the topics that lay it out pretty straight forward you guys presented!! I love this site!!! How did docs ever do this before the internet haha
No problem! We're happy to help :thumbup: