What should i do about the pcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello Everyone,

I just got my scores for the Oct. 17 pcat and I also took the PCAT in august. I got 24 composite percentile in august and 31 percentile in october. I improved but it is not good enough. The second time I reviewed and practiced a lot but I don't know what happened. However, I do have a 3.94 GPA and the only class I have left is organic chem 2. I have lots of extracurricular, volunteer, and work experience. My LOR's are excellent too. I applied to 7 schools and they all require the PCAT but they don't have a minimum score. So what should I do? Should I retake in january?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I just got my scores for the Oct. 17 pcat and I also took the PCAT in august. I got 24 composite percentile in august and 31 percentile in october. I improved but it is not good enough. The second time I reviewed and practiced a lot but I don't know what happened. However, I do have a 3.94 GPA and the only class I have left is organic chem 2. I have lots of extracurricular, volunteer, and work experience. My LOR's are excellent too. I applied to 7 schools and they all require the PCAT but they don't have a minimum score. So what should I do? Should I retake in january?

If being a pharmacist is truly what you want to do, retake in January. Be sure to check which schools accept January PCAT. I believe schools do have a minimum PCAT cutoff to be considered for an interview. Check with the schools you are applying at.

Hello Everyone,

I think you should definitely retake it in January

I know a girl from my undergrad who was in a similar situation as you were. She took the PCAT four times in one year, and in August, she told me she had like a 30-something percentile. But that didn't stop her from applying to many schools, and taking the PCAT again in January. I'm not sure what she got in January, but she did well enough to get accepted to a private school in Denver, and she's a P1 there. So it's definitely possible to improve between now and January. Just study hard during the winter break and stay motivated until your PCAT.

Oh, btw most schools will say that a minimum of 25 of 30 on the PCAT is required, so you can still apply and get interviewed.

I have a 26 percentile and is still shocked, I felt i did fairly well. I probably will take it again in Jan and just apply, it doesn't hurt to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP, it seems as if your entire canidate profile is TOP notch, EXCEPT your pcat score, yet you're only applying to schools that require the pcat?

Why not apply to some that do NOT require the pcat?

well...

there aren't many schools that don't require the PCAT. Unless he resides in California (usc, ucsf, pacific, etc. most of which had the deadline pass) or Indianapolis (purdue uni.).

Retake and exceed!

I am thinking about retaking the PCAT in January. But I don't know how to prepare for it. I used Kaplan, Cliffnotes, Barron, and textbooks to prepare for the last PCAT. How are you planning to prepare for it?