What should I do? Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bri4518

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
talk to a lawyer and call an admissions representative and speak with them anonymously over the phone.

wish you the best :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
if the question asks, "have you ever been convicted of a crime?" answer No. Not because you can get away with it, but because it's true--you were convicted of ordinance violations, these are not "criminal offenses" nor are they "crimes", and they certainly don't rise to the level of a misdemeanor. Don't listen to people who tell you otherwise, or say that you are morally obligated to disclose this stuff to med schools.

Now, if the question asks for a listing of all the citations you've received, or if you've ever violated an ordinance or if you've ever been arrested, the (true) answer is different. However, you were less than 18 years old for both of these incidents. In this country, juvenile records are sealed and, thus, you need not disclose this information.

So do not disclose this information on your medical school applications.

There's no need to, and it has the potential to harm your application. Other people are gonna chime in that you should mention it anyway, "just to be honest"--don't listen to them. Even though any sane rational person can see that this doesn't have any effect on your ability to be a future doctor, I can guarantee you that some jerkoff on an admissions committee somewhere will think it speaks negatively about your character and will use it to deny you a spot.

I realize that this is not the pre-medical forums, but I wanted to seek advice from people who may have more experienced knowledge on my situation.

When I was 14, a friend of mine and I started a small fire in a park. Long story short, a firetruck was called and we got charged with "negligent use of burning materials." After a few hours of community service the charges were dropped.

Later when I was 17, I was dismissed from my workplace (a hotel/restaurant) for attempting to steal alcohol. I received a $300 fine, which was reduced to around $100. When I asked the DA about this on my record, he said that it would show up about as much as a parking ticket.

Following that incident, I went to college out of state, lost contact with friends who were poor influences back home, and spent a lot of time with people who have positive career aspirations.

Since then, whenever the question came up about whether I have ever committed a crime, I always answered "no." I have survived four background checks for working in a lab at my university, volunteering at a hospital, working at a corporation, and applying for housing without any flags raised whatsoever.

Now, I am a 21-year-old applying to medical schools, and filling out secondary applications. I ordered a Certiphi background check, which came up blank, so my criminal record seems to be clean. I am still somewhat confused about which category the offenses fall under (misdemeanor? etc.). I was never arrested for either incident.

I am concerned that if I unnecessarily disclose this information (especially the more recent theft), I will jeopardize my otherwise satisfactory application. Obviously, I could get past the admissions process, but I am most concerned about this coming up later for residency or licensing.

What should I do?
moving to PA.

If you were 17 it may be on your juvenile record which would be sealed by now. Also, it might not have shown up at all on it ever. If you are worried, call an attorney and ask. You did a Background Check on yourself and it came back negative, I wouldn't worry about it.