What should I do between undergrad and DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twocentnews

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I am finishing my undergrad degree in biology next year. However, I am not prepared to apply for medical school yet, and probably won't be until for the Fall 2011 or later.

What can I do before then to fill the time? I would like to stay in some sort of school-related program, maybe a Master's? I was thinking about Masters public health, but those are usually 2 year programs. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and won't be ready to until later this yr.

Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you not be ready to apply next year after you graduate, especially since you'll be taking the MCAT this year? Just want the break?

How's your GPA? If it's not that great you could always keeping taking some post-bacc classes.

If you're truly interested in the MPH then go for it, not going to hurt you, but it's not necessarily going to help a whole lot for admissions, so don't do it just to get it.

Other than that:
-work (find something in health related field to get some more experience)
-volunteer more
-work on any weak areas of your application (GPA --> more classes, get better LORs, add to extracurricular experiences, etc...)

If you app is already competitive then I don't know, travel, have fun, go to a medical missions trip oversees, whatever you want.

Do something you enjoy or nothing at all. I worked a little with middle school kids doing athletic training, hung out with friends and just generally enjoyed having very little responsibility. It is nice and I'm now chomping at the bit to get back to school. 6 years of nonstop classes was killing me.

Members don't see this ad :)
MossPoh: What school did you end up deciding on?

Nova as of now. I'm still on the waitlist at FSU and FIU, but I have little hope. Lecom-B was tough to turn down but family support won out.

Nova as of now. I'm still on the waitlist at FSU and FIU, but I have little hope. Lecom-B was tough to turn down but family support won out.

Very true.

Yea, I'm still a just a little bitter about FSU, oh well. It worked out in the end as I'm not sure I really would've liked moving for 3rd/4th years. The wifey is already nervous about what residency will bring.

Really don't think you can go wrong at ANY of our schools in Florida. Really curious to see what UCF does in the next few years.

Best thing to do would be to get a research asst job at a research hospital or prominent lab.

Fill in any weak areas in your application, and pursue plenty of hobbies. You'll be much ahppier once you get to med school if you enjoy this year or two off rather than kill yourself with another degree or being constantly busy.

I would definitely get a job. Save some money and enjoy some freedom before going back to school.

If I wanted to stay in school though, are there any 1-year Master's programs other than just pursuing a biology Master's degree?

For me, I'm doing a CNA course, volunteering, running:D, and relaxing. Its a great time!

Spartan, are you already accepted into med school or are you going to be applying this cycle? For me, I am applying this cycle and I was thinking of getting an EMT license and doing some volunteering.....how do you add that onto the application if its something that will be done in the future?

24/7 sexcapade

I didn't even catch that the first time through these, nice. :)

So I was thinking about possibly taking a year off between med school and undergrad to retake organic chem as a non-degree seeking student and maybe working along the way?

Also, if I took organic at my university, and then retook it somewhere else, would that count as a retake and replace the grade? Or is that considered two separate courses?

1 Year off? That may just be enough time to become a DNP.

Assuming you have an internet connection, of course...

1 Year off? That may just be enough time to become a DNP.

Assuming you have an internet connection, of course...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just what I needed. One of my 'friends' from childhood is about to go get her DNP and she told me the other day "you could come work at my hospital after you get your DO, we need more naturopaths around!" I was too mortified at her ignorance/rudeness to correct her (Im sure she knows the difference, she is just super high and mighty). I just sat there with my jaw dropped as she walked away.

Get involved with an AmeriCorps program. See if there is one in your area. I just graduated from CU-Boulder and am taking a year off to work at a clinic through Americorps.

Hey everyone!

So I am finishing my undergrad degree in biology next year. However, I am not prepared to apply for medical school yet, and probably won't be until for the Fall 2011 or later.

What can I do before then to fill the time? I would like to stay in some sort of school-related program, maybe a Master's? I was thinking about Masters public health, but those are usually 2 year programs. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and won't be ready to until later this yr.

Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you have a few options. Look for a 1-yr master's program...that is my backup plan if I don't get in during my application year. I live close to USF in Florida and have seen a few I am interested in. You can get a job, the less you have to lay out, the better it will be for your wallet after med school :laugh:...maybe get something in the medical field. Just make sure that your uGPA, sGPA and MCAT are strong before going for a Master's because from what I hear, even a perfect GPA in grad school can't always correct a crummy GPA in undergrad.

If I wanted to stay in school though, are there any 1-year Master's programs other than just pursuing a biology Master's degree?

There are, but you need to check the universities close to you...different schools may offer different Master's degrees.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just what I needed. One of my 'friends' from childhood is about to go get her DNP and she told me the other day "you could come work at my hospital after you get your DO, we need more naturopaths around!" I was too mortified at her ignorance/rudeness to correct her (Im sure she knows the difference, she is just super high and mighty). I just sat there with my jaw dropped as she walked away.

Someone going for a DNP tried to cop an attitude like that? Good grief...