What should I do??? Feedback needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading over the AADSAS instructions for this year and it looks like there is a question about whether you have previously or are currently applying to other health professions schools. I'm assuming this year's application will ask a similar question???

I'm a little worried if so..... To be honest, I applied to medical school this past year and then withdrew from the only school I had an interview with.
I don't want to bore you with all the details but I am sure medicine is not for me and that dentistry is. I just finished my personal statement and didn't really address the fact that I applied to medical school (just that I had explored the profession and ruled it out). I really didn't want to highlight that and instead wanted to focus on dentistry. Now I am worried that I need to rewrite the whole thing to sufficiently explain myself.

Ugh - what should I do???

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately you are going to be at a slight disadvantage when you apply to Dental School. ADCOMS don't like to see applicants who have applied to medical school because of the stereotype of dentistry being a "back-up" for pre-med students that didn't get accepted. They might question your commitment to to dental program basically. I would probably call some schools you are interested in and ask them how much it affects you and just write your heart out in your personal statement. Hope that helps and good luck! :D

I was reading over the AADSAS instructions for this year and it looks like there is a question about whether you have previously or are currently applying to other health professions schools. I'm assuming this year's application will ask a similar question???

I'm a little worried if so..... To be honest, I applied to medical school this past year and then withdrew from the only school I had an interview with.
I don't want to bore you with all the details but I am sure medicine is not for me and that dentistry is. I just finished my personal statement and didn't really address the fact that I applied to medical school (just that I had explored the profession and ruled it out). I really didn't want to highlight that and instead wanted to focus on dentistry. Now I am worried that I need to rewrite the whole thing to sufficiently explain myself.

Ugh - what should I do???

Well since you withdrew you could say that after you applied you realized it wasn't the right thing for you. Be honest, what is the reason you didn't want medicine and chose dentistry. If you're sincere and you actually want dentistry, this should be easy.

Well, D-schools will see that you obviously had a very strong interest in Medicine considering you applied, filled out secondaries, then went to the interview. Schools don't like premeds taking dental as a back-up as many others have said. I am not trying to bash on you but just saying what it looks like.

GOOD LUCK