What should I do for my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pachinko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I decided to take a gap year because I felt that I wasn't competitive enough as a junior, but now I'm really stressed and worried about what to do for my gap year.

My scores:
GPA: 3.33
sGPA: probably a 3.0 I hope....
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 19/19/18

General qualitative background:
I have been a cultural club president leader for three years, active in music ensembles, took 3D art courses, Biology major, interned for 2 months at a Japanese hospital (I'm not Japanese but it's an interest of mine) where I worked with GPs/OMFS, and shadowed 96 hours in the US. I don't want to count on it helping me, but my sister is a D1 at UCSF right now.

Seeing myself now, I wonder the following:
1) I know that I can do better on the DAT, so should I retake it by end of July (earliest possible time for me)? (What's better, submitting it as early as possible, or submitting it with my new DAT scores?)
2) What do I do for my gap year to make me a better applicant? I know people say "just do what you like", but what if my 'like' is a concern for being a better applicant? :S

Concerns about gap year
I need to pay off student loans and save money to help my family (financial issues are a huge problem), so I would like a paid job. What job could/should I do...
I would love to continue my internship in Japan or be in the Philippines, but, what would I do about ds interviews?

Please help!
I REALLY WANT TO BE A DENTIST.
-stressed out senior-

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so I decided to take a gap year because I felt that I wasn't competitive enough as a junior, but now I'm really stressed and worried about what to do for my gap year.

My scores:
GPA: 3.33
sGPA: probably a 3.0 I hope....
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 19/19/18

General qualitative background:
I have been a cultural club president leader for three years, active in music ensembles, took 3D art courses, Biology major, interned for 2 months at a Japanese hospital (I'm not Japanese but it's an interest of mine) where I worked with GPs/OMFS, and shadowed 96 hours in the US. I don't want to count on it helping me, but my sister is a D1 at UCSF right now.

Seeing myself now, I wonder the following:
1) I know that I can do better on the DAT, so should I retake it by end of July (earliest possible time for me)? (What's better, submitting it as early as possible, or submitting it with my new DAT scores?)
2) What do I do for my gap year to make me a better applicant? I know people say "just do what you like", but what if my 'like' is a concern for being a better applicant? :S

Concerns about gap year
I need to pay off student loans and save money to help my family (financial issues are a huge problem), so I would like a paid job. What job could/should I do...
I would love to continue my internship in Japan or be in the Philippines, but, what would I do about ds interviews?

Please help!
I REALLY WANT TO BE A DENTIST.
-stressed out senior-

You have some really unique experiences that will help you out a lot. If you get a 20 on the DAT you'll be in really good shape I think. Something that's really hot in dentistry right now is community dentistry. If you can find a non profit dental group (mobile dental van, etc) that works with undeserved kids/communities it can be a great experience. I did something along those lines and there were a handful of kids at every school we visited that didn't own their own toothbrush. If you have a state school you'll most likely be competitive there.

Science GPA could be a problem though. You definitely want that above a 3.0.

Thanks!! Took your advice and just found some non profit dental organizations!