What should I do if I cannot get my official transcript to AMCAS because of COVID-19?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggsntoast

f262j34a01g
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I reached out to my undergraduate school to get my official transcript sent to AMCAS so I can apply this cycle. This school is in NY which is the epicenter of this pandemic. When I reached out to the school, their Registrar tells me that they "can only process unofficial transcripts being emailed at this time." I reached out to AMCAS to let them know, and they told me that unofficial transcripts are not acceptable and if I cannot get my official transcript to them, then I will not be able to apply. I am at a loss as to what do, and seriously in panic mode. Any advice/kind words would be truly appreciated :(

Members don't see this ad.

To make a long story short, I reached out to my undergraduate school to get my official transcript sent to AMCAS so I can apply this cycle. This school is in NY which is the epicenter of this pandemic. When I reached out to the school, their Registrar tells me that they "can only process unofficial transcripts being emailed at this time." I reached out to AMCAS to let them know, and they told me that unofficial transcripts are not acceptable and if I cannot get my official transcript to them, then I will not be able to apply. I am at a loss as to what do, and seriously in panic mode. Any advice/kind words would be truly appreciated :(
I fully understand and sympathize with your panic at this time. We are living in very trying conditions that only pop up once a century.

Here's the unvarnished truth: people's safety is more important that your medical education, so you're going to have to be patient, and wait, even if it means sitting out an app cycle.

So instead of losing a year's salary of a clinician, think of it this way: you'll just retire at age 66 instead of 65.

Reactions: 1 users
I fully understand and sympathize with your panic at this time. We are living in very trying conditions that only pop up once a century.

Here's the unvarnished truth: people's safety is more important that your medical education, so you're going to have to be patient, and wait, even if it means sitting out an app cycle.

So instead of losing a year's salary of a clinician, think of it this way: you'll just retire at age 66 instead of 65.

I guess what's interesting to me is the fact AACOMAS is willing to take unofficial transcripts due to "Covid-19 Hardship" and AMCAS isn't.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the exact same boat OP. We should advocate for ourselves.
You should -- unfortunately for you, if it impacted a lot of people (like the canceled MCATs) AAMC would figure something out for you. Given the relatively few people impacted as compared to their applicant pool, the reaction you will get is the one you got from @Goro. In fact, you already got it, didn't you?

I think you'll have more luck pressuring your schools to figure out a way to get you an official transcript. Pretty much every school in the country has solved for this issue, even though they are all closed, so it is really inexcusable that your schools can't do so as well. No matter how difficult or inconvenient it might be, one would think they have an obligation to provide an official record of your attendance and academic performance so that you are able to continue your education, get a job, etc. That's probably where whatever advocacy you are contemplating would have the greatest likelihood of yielding the desired result. If not, at least the gap year should make your application stronger when this is all over. Good luck!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I think it's too early to panic. You may be OK if transcripts are transmitted by labor day.

Reactions: 1 users
But some count it as one year savings compounded over 30 years vs working one year longer (borrowing from 7 yr BSMD advocates) :) We chose to go with work one year longer argument.

I think it's too early to panic. You may be OK if transcripts are transmitted by labor day.
I'm no expert, since I haven't done it yet, but that might be pushing it for MD (depending on how much cycles get pushed back this year). Do secondaries go out before you are verified? If not, then when would you be complete if transcripts are first transmitted by Labor Day? Middle of October? Would you think your kid would be okay by middle of October? :)

I'm no expert, since I haven't done it yet, but that might be pushing it for MD (depending on how much cycles get pushed back this year). Do secondaries go out before you are verified? If not, then when would you be complete if transcripts are first transmitted by Labor Day? Middle of October? Would you think your kid would be okay by middle of October? :)
I am also not at an expert, but an observer and trying to reassure OP. As you know application won't be sent to schools without verification done so secondaries will be late September. OP can prewrite the secondaries since prompt will be out by that time. My expectation cycle will be 2-4 weeks behind normal cycle and interviews will be virtual so schools can schedule interviews quicker than before. As per my kid, his school didn't indicate any issues with sending transcripts so that question is mute :)