What should I do now? (Depression/ death in family/ failure)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junta87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Things are going badly and I am just looking for advice.

I am a non-trad student (26, liberal arts background, got my ba 6 years ago, took cc classes for my pt school prereqs...)and just finished my second semester of pt school. In this program, grades under 83 (b) are failing. More than two and they meet to decide whether or not to keep you in the program

The first semester was a summer session where we took gross anatomy in six weeks (!!!) I got an 81 (b-). This last semester was terrible. During the week of midterms, my father in law died unexpectedly. I asked to take a midterm a few days late (i.e, not the morning after the funeral) and was denied. I did terribly on the midterm, but well on the final, but ended up with an 82 in the class. I figured since I got 2 A's this semeter it would even out, especially since the faculty all knew about my FIL. But, they kicked me out. Via a letter signed by someone I've never met. I have been out of the country for Xmas, I only found out because my neighbor was checking my mail while I was gone. Not even my advisor extended the courtosy of contacting me directly.

Anyway, what do I do now? I don't mind being done w/ pt but I want to be able to withdraw

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
During program orientation, each institution usually hands out a program handbook for you to read. It should contain information on formalizing a request for an appeal and meeting with the academic board. I'd reach out to the program and see what the next steps are. It also seems like there is more to this story.

What type of program kicks you out for sub 83% grades, if you maintain a >3.0 avg? Assuming you did maintain a >3.0 GPA? Are grades inflated? Our program has 5 criteria for dismissal. 1) <75% in a non-clinical course. 2) <80% in a clinical course. 3) <3.0 cumm avg after the first semester. 4) > 2x failure of a practical exam throughout the program. 5) You want to fail. Our requirements are somewhere in the middle, I suppose, but your program sounds horrible.

EDIT:
Page 27 of your program's handbook contains a link to which you may follow to begin the appeals process. Fight it. You put in the $, time and effort. Don't let it slip away. Should you be re-admitted, put your karate face on and stop getting below B's. A's and B's make PTs. I wish you the best of luck, from one non-trad to another.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely fight this! Sounds crazy! Getting kicked out for low Bs and not being able to reschedule a midterm after a death in the family?

Members don't see this ad :)
Winston Churchill — 'Never, ever ever ever ever give up.'

OP - definitely go through the appeals process and keep escalating. If all else fails, see if the school will let you withdraw. At least that would not look bad on your academic records.
That said, I think your school behaved in a thoroughly unprofessional manner.

If all else fails, see if the school will let you withdraw. At least that would not look bad on your academic records. That said, I think your school behaved in a thoroughly unprofessional manner.

I second this. You've invested way too much in the application process and in this school to not fight. But you also need to know what the procedure is for the appeals process. Your school should be more understanding. On what grounds were they able to eject you?

Kevin