What should I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

screeaaaaam

Reaction score
I applied the 2019-2020 cycle to tons of MDs (all rejected-prob not going to reapply to MDs) and 1 DO (very late in the cycle, like finished the secondary app in Feb). I am currently waitlisted for the DO, so now I'm just looking for advice on what I should do.

(edited to remove stats information)

Since applying, not much has changed. The newest thing that is not in my 2019-2020 application is the recent volunteering (calling people in the community).
I'm currently accepted in an SMP at Rosalind Franklin University that I'm kind of sketched out about (from the many posts of students warning people against doing it), and have deferred an acceptance to SUNY Downstate MPH (since I wasn't sure how the waitlist would work out).
Should I look for other masters programs (SMP/MPH/other masters though might be kind of late to apply for them now....), try to retake the MCAT, or look into reapplying to more DOs this 2020-2021 cycle?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice! (long time lurker, first time poster)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied the 2019-2020 cycle to tons of MDs (all rejected-prob not going to reapply to MDs) and 1 DO (very late in the cycle, like finished the secondary app in Feb). I am currently waitlisted for the DO, so now I'm just looking for advice on what I should do.

Here are my stats:
graduated in 2018 with cGPA: 3.42, sGPA: 3.2-3.3
MCAT in 2018: 507 (129/125/126/127)
CA resident, ORM female
LoRs: 1 MD (from shadowing during freshman year), 3 science profs, 1 NP (from working as a medical assistant), 2 others (1-my lab manager from biorepository position, 1-my head lacrosse coach who happens to be DDS)
1000+ clinical hours (volunteering, shadowing MD, student-run clinic)
in college: 2 quarters as an anatomy class lab aide (helping teach lab classes), worked 3 years in biorepository research lab, nearly 4 years as research intern (included in 3 published manuscripts)
since graduating: full-time certified medical assistant (ongoing), high school girls lacrosse coach (on hold bc of covid), volunteer (calling people in the Meals on Wheels program to check on them since covid/shelter-in-place)

Since applying, not much has changed. The newest thing that is not in my 2019-2020 application is the recent volunteering (calling people in the community).
I'm currently accepted in an SMP at Rosalind Franklin University that I'm kind of sketched out about (from the many posts of students warning people against doing it), and have deferred an acceptance to SUNY Downstate MPH (since I wasn't sure how the waitlist would work out).
Should I look for other masters programs (SMP/MPH/other masters though might be kind of late to apply for them now....), try to retake the MCAT, or look into reapplying to more DOs this 2020-2021 cycle?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice! (long time lurker, first time poster)
With your stats I would reapply to mostly DO schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the time try and shadow a DO and get a DO letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious why did you apply to MD and only 1 DO when your stats are below avg for MD. I'm not trying to demoralize you. Shadow DO and make sure apply lots of DO schools. Your MCAT is good but sGPA is avg.
What state of residence do you have?

Just curious why did you apply to MD and only 1 DO when your stats are below avg for MD. I'm not trying to demoralize you. Shadow DO and make sure apply lots of DO schools. Your MCAT is good but sGPA is avg.
They are a CA resident. It's posted under their stats in the OP.

Reactions: 1 user

tbh I just didn't have much motivation to be a DO until late in the cycle when I started doing more research (and had too high of hopes to be MD for my low stats).
CA resident!

tbh I just didn't have much motivation to be a DO until late in the cycle when I started doing more research (and had too high of hopes to be MD for my low stats).
CA resident!

oh missed it that you are from CA.
Add more DO schools.