what should I do?? Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmduic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
took the MCAT last year and got a 22 and just retook it and studied for the whole yr and tried my hardest and only got a 20.

do u think i should apply? do i have a chance??

thnx

my gpa is 3.7

i tried a private tutor with kaplan for the second time and also i don't mind taking it again but do u think it is worth it?

do i have a chance right now to get in??

Members don't see this ad.

Below a 22 it is a long shot for US schools. Since your GPA is high, and you hit 20, if it is your dream to become a physician no matter what then you should apply to caribbean schools. IMO you stand a chance at being accepted to 1 of the "big 4 " down there. :luck:

took the MCAT last year and got a 22 and just retook it and studied for the whole yr and tried my hardest and only got a 20.

thnx

my gpa is 3.7

i tried a private tutor with kaplan for the second time and also i don't mind taking it again but do u think it is worth it?

Pharm, what was the break down on your score? Also, what was your practice test range? A third attempt is definitely warranted.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is very tough to up your score though it is possible. It seems like you put in a good effort. However, DO schools have an average of a 24-27 MCAT score depending on the school. Only retake the MCAT if you are sure you are going to score higher. I think that a medical school abroud will accept you with the score you have now. If you don't mind going abroud for four years go for it. However, if you want to stay in the US there is a branch of Medicine you may like to look into and it is Podiatry School. You see paitients, proscribe medications, and can specialize while making a very decent salery (~136,000) a year. But if you don't like feet and don't want to go abroud you need a to retake but you must get at least four points higher. I hope you are accepted to the school of your choice. Good Luck!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

thnx

my gpa is 3.7

Fire you private tutor!!! It might be worth taking another crack at the MCAT.

Definantly retake. Shoot for 25 or better. Your 22 is pretty close.
A 25 MCAT or better, your GPA, decent LOC's and experiences will make you competitive for most DO schools.
Did you take the Kaplan prep course along with a tutor?
Or just a tutor from Kaplan?

I used a stuctures prep course and it worked for me.

The point is to find a way that works for you to study for the test.
Obviously, what you have done thus far isn't working for you.
Find what works best, stick to it, and kick that test in the arse!
Good Luck!

Don't listen to these people. You can get in with a 22, or even a 20. Lots of schools look more heavily at your gpa, Apply to a lot of schools. (vcom,unecom,lecom,wsvom,pscom, dcom, oucom,dmu,kcom,nova,). i know some one finishing up their 3rd year with a 3.5 average in med school and they got in with a less than a 20 mcat and 3.4 gpa. apply, you.ll get in somewhere/ Good luck!:)

I would apply, but make sure the schools you apply to know that you are going to re-take. When's the next MCAT? Give yourself the summer to study like a FIEND and take it in August or something and write a letter to each school telling them you are planning on re-taking on whatever date. Then do it!