What should I do regarding grad school? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SW01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I've been accepted into a two year master's program. However, I got the news of my acceptance after I submitted my apps for OD programs. If I get accepted to an OD program, should I just leave the master's program after one year or a semester? Would that look bad on my record?

I don't want to take the chance and give up my seat in the master's program just in case I don't get into any OD programs. The main reason I applied to master's programs were so that I could bring up my GPA and become more competitive, but I never thought what would happen if I get into an OD program when I'm in the middle of a two year master's program. Would adcoms at OD schools understand? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TL;DR: I'm starting a two year master's program next month, however, should I leave the program if I get accepted into an OD school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! So I've been accepted into a two year master's program. However, I got the news of my acceptance after I submitted my apps for OD programs. If I get accepted to an OD program, should I just leave the master's program after one year or a semester? Would that look bad on my record?

I don't want to take the chance and give up my seat in the master's program just in case I don't get into any OD programs. The main reason I applied to master's programs were so that I could bring up my GPA and become more competitive, but I never thought what would happen if I get into an OD program when I'm in the middle of a two year master's program. Would adcoms at OD schools understand? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TL;DR: I'm starting a two year master's program next month, however, should I leave the program if I get accepted into an OD school?
1) Is it an SMP or a regular masters?
2) What are your stats?

Thanks for the reply! :)

1) It's a regular master's program.
2) My stats are below average, which is why I even went for a master's. But since I already submitted, I can't go back and wait two years to finish my master's and then reapply. I was just wondering what I would do if I get invited to an interview and get accepted. Would it be appropriate to leave my master's program unfinished if I get accepted into an OD program? I know one admissions counselor told me that they had a student apply while she was in dental school and left dental school to pursue an OD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ! I'm starting Optometry school soon and think if you get accepted to the program, it might be best to leave the Master's to prevent taking out extra loans. PM me your stats and I'll give you an idea of your chances. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! :)

1) It's a regular master's program.
2) My stats are below average, which is why I even went for a master's. But since I already submitted, I can't go back and wait two years to finish my master's and then reapply. I was just wondering what I would do if I get invited to an interview and get accepted. Would it be appropriate to leave my master's program unfinished if I get accepted into an OD program? I know one admissions counselor told me that they had a student apply while she was in dental school and left dental school to pursue an OD.
It is not uncommon for students to leave a masters midway through after they have been accepted.
During your interview they may ask if you have plans to finish it. Some students lie, some students tell the truth. That's up to you.

Regarding your choice of choosing a non-SMP or heavy science (Chem, Bio, Physics) masters- It may bump your GPA but admissions are aware of the grade inflation in non-SMP programs.

Reactions: 1 user
It is not uncommon for students to leave a masters midway through after they have been accepted.
During your interview they may ask if you have plans to finish it. Some students lie, some students tell the truth. That's up to you.

Regarding your choice of choosing a non-SMP or heavy science (Chem, Bio, Physics) masters- It may bump your GPA but admissions are aware of the grade inflation in non-SMP programs.

Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it! :)