What should I do (shadowing)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rom3o

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I logged onto the AACPM to see the list of DPM mentors in my area.

There is one doc in my immediate area... the only thing is, the current company I work for does work for this Doctor directly, i.e., we see referrals from him, refer pt's to him, market to him, etc.

Would it be appropriate to ask him if I could shadow him? My biggest fear is that my boss catches whiff of this, if he does, I think that this will change his attitude towards me, i.e., lower or no bonuses, won't be willing to put me through additional training, etc.

And who's to say that this doc won't be like "Hey boss, I have your employee xxx shadowing me"....

DPM's that are not on the list: is this because they clearly don't want to mentor?

What do you guys think I should do -- try and shadow this doc anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure about the answer to your first question...

...but...if there is a DPM in your area thats not in the mentors program it doesn't hurt to call them up. Its possible he/she isn't on there because they don't know about it.

I never looked at that list for finding someone to shadow. I saw a local group of 5 pods, called the office manager who talked to them and 3 said they would be happy to let me shadow. I don't think not being on the list means they don't want someone to shadow. Give some a call and ask, what's the worst they can say? No