What Should I do this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1180327

Hello everyone,

I am a current Senior with a Biology and Business Management Major. My MCAT score is what is hurting the most currently so I am grinding now to take it January. Additionally my GPA is not the strongest mainly due to the fact that I took an entire Business Degree onto my plate. But enough of the rant my main question is what should I do this summer once I graduate? I plan to apply this coming May so I am not sure what would be the best thing to do while I am applying to medical schools. Should I try to get into some summer research programs? I know postbacc and SMP is out of the question bc it would be to late to take them and them apply to medical schools. Just looking for guidance I want to optimize that time best for medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

First thing I would say is to change your username if you want privacy, looks like it's probably your full name. Not sure how to give advice with no info about your (past?) MCAT scores, GPA, ECs--depending on how these are, it may not be the right time to apply pending if a post-bacc or SMP is needed.

The biggest thing I've taken away from applying this cycle is being grateful that I waited to build up my application to not have to reapply.

Reactions: 2 users
But enough of the rant my main question is what should I do this summer once I graduate? I plan to apply this coming May so I am not sure what would be the best thing to do while I am applying to medical schools.
You should be completing your secondary applications. This is effectively a full time job through at least July.

After that it depends on the rest of your application looks like. Begin with the assumption that you will need to reapply and start filling gaps.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am a current Senior with a Biology and Business Management Major. My MCAT score is what is hurting the most currently so I am grinding now to take it January. Additionally my GPA is not the strongest mainly due to the fact that I took an entire Business Degree onto my plate. But enough of the rant my main question is what should I do this summer once I graduate? I plan to apply this coming May so I am not sure what would be the best thing to do while I am applying to medical schools. Should I try to get into some summer research programs? I know postbacc and SMP is out of the question bc it would be to late to take them and them apply to medical schools. Just looking for guidance I want to optimize that time best for medical schools.
Can you provide some information (maybe do a WAMC form) so that we can know what you've done and maybe what you haven't done in preparation for medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
First thing I would say is to change your username if you want privacy, looks like it's probably your full name. Not sure how to give advice with no info about your (past?) MCAT scores, GPA, ECs--depending on how these are, it may not be the right time to apply pending if a post-bacc or SMP is needed.

The biggest thing I've taken away from applying this cycle is being grateful that I waited to build up my application to not have to reapply.
Yeah I wasn't sure how to change the privacy settings. Very new to SDN.

Hello everyone,

How much shadowing and clinical experience do you have? Describe your nonclinical community service and how many hours you have. What is your science GPA and MCAT? Why are you thinking postbac or SMP, and why do you think it's too late to apply? What did your prehealth advisors say?

You say that your MCAT and grades may be an issue. Medical school is incredibly competitive. It is best to measure twice and cut once. Make sure that your MCAT, grades, and extracurriculars are where they should be before applying. Otherwise, you will be wasting your time and money.

Slow down. Do not take the MCAT until you are ready which means you are taking practice tests regularly under test conditions, reviewing every question and understanding why you got it wrong (or right, was it a lucky guess or do you know that material cold).

Do not underestimate the importance of GPA. Focus on finishing on a high note. Do not put a ton of energy into your application before school is over.

Get a job. Any job will do but something in health care or medically related research can be helpful in the long run. If you might not be a slam dunk for med school admission, do give some consideration for how the job could prepare you for an allied health field or something completely different.

Plan on working a year and then applying with the best gpa and the best MCAT you can manage. Do it right and you'll only do it once.

Reactions: 1 users