Aug 28, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I just graduated with a 3.1 GPA and a biology degree. I'd still like to get into medical school, but my GPA is weak. Would an SMP or starting another bachelors degree be best for me? Or should I just look into another career option at this point?

Reactions: Avanafil

0dee

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Medical Student
You're in the osteopathic forum, so look up grade replacement for DO schools. There is about ten million topics about this subject.

Reactions: Avanafil and Goro

JW2020

2+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Look into postbaccs for grade repair. DO schools especially reward reinvention and proving that your GPA is not the student you are now. If medicine is what you want to do, you can certainly get yourself there, but it will take some work.

Reactions: Avanafil and Goro

lyana

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Yes, if you get a really good score on MCAT plus good EC's, there is a chance to be accepted with 3.1
You could retake some of the classes, which could help to boost your GPA.

mpsu2014

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If I were you I would re-take the classes in the major science fields that are lower than a B and continue with volunteer activities in addition to clinical experience, research, etc. What is your MCAT? Attempting to pull up your grades with other decent ECs is looked highly upon by medical schools in general.
Of course this GPA is more comparable with DO schools, as MD schools typically sit with higher GPA and MCAT scores, but attempting to correct some of the lower grades is a step in the right direction.
For example, my MCAT score initially was horrid. I worked really hard, took a class, and studied for several months and was able to raise it 7 points. Although my initial school is obviously not something I am proud of, my ability to turn it around is not only something that the medical schools love to see (shows your true passion), but it is something you can talk about in application essays.

Best of luck! If this is something you really want to do, don't give up. This is my second time applying, and although the process sucks and is anything but heart warming, it is worth it.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just graduated with a 3.1 GPA and a biology degree. I'd still like to get into medical school, but my GPA is weak. Would an SMP or starting another bachelors degree be best for me? Or should I just look into another career option at this point?
SMP would be a good idea, also taking a prep course for the MCAT and making sure you get a high score. I would honestly look into a professional MCAT prep course.

Aug 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I would have to disagree with Seth. If you take an SMP and screw it up you are done.. I think you are much better off replacing any classes you bombed and applying.

darkeon

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
the SMP opens doors to MD schools if so desired. If you are keen on a particular DO school, their respective SMP may be key. Otherwise, just replace grades as I assume OP's sci gpa is lower than 3.1. A 3.0 would be the minimum target for a good amount of DO schools but some do have screening cutoffs at 3.2 so be plan accordingly

Reactions: Maruko and Goro

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
the SMP opens doors to MD schools if so desired. If you are keen on a particular DO school, their respective SMP may be key. Otherwise, just replace grades as I assume OP's sci gpa is lower than 3.1. A 3.0 would be the minimum target for a good amount of DO schools but some do have screening cutoffs at 3.2 so be plan accordingly
To be entirely fair the SMP to MD school route is growing more and more sour. Even a few years ago a person who graduated from a good SMP with a 3.7 and a 31 wasn't always assured of getting into MD school. And being entirely fair spending 40-50K to attend a SMP and then attend a DO school that you could have probably gotten into with an informal post-bacc part time or allowing for work is not realistic.

StudyLater

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Your plan going forward should be:
1. Do well on MCAT.
2. Get your weight up on clinical stuff
3. Retake most terrible grades
4. Apply to AACOMAS
5. Go into interviews and don't be a weirdo
6. Walk into med school for your first class with a big grin on your face. :D:D

(or just stay home and read the online powerpoints if attendance isn't mandatory...)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Have to disagree with you on this one. There are still MD schools that reward reinvention, including top ones like Duke, Vandy, case and UCSF.

To be entirely fair the SMP to MD school route is growing more and more sour. Even a few years ago a person who graduated from a good SMP with a 3.7 and a 31 wasn't always assured of getting into MD school. And being entirely fair spending 40-50K to attend a SMP and then attend a DO school that you could have probably gotten into with an informal post-bacc part time or allowing for work is not realistic.

swarley1820

5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I'm on a similar boat, with a degree in chemistry. I applied this past cycle with a sgpa of 3.24 and a cgpa of 3.3. Took the mcat twice and did poorly. I've never taken a standardized test before and I tried to save money by studying on my own, it didn't go so well. I managed to get invited for an interview at one school and was placed on the waitlist, which obviously ended in a rejection.

Right now, I'm debating whether to re-apply in the summer of 2016 or 2017. From, my calculations I could end up with a 3.42 sgpa/3.45 cgpa for next summer (2016) by taking a few additional classes, even higher if i take an additional year. I definitely have to retake the mcat and will be taking a course this time around. I've been working on setting up new volunteer work in hospitals and seeking research opportunities.

So my question is, would it be a better idea to apply in two years or to make sure that I have everything ready for next summer? Thank you for your input :)

Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm on a similar boat, with a degree in chemistry. I applied this past cycle with a sgpa of 3.24 and a cgpa of 3.3. Took the mcat twice and did poorly. I've never taken a standardized test before and I tried to save money by studying on my own, it didn't go so well. I managed to get invited for an interview at one school and was placed on the waitlist, which obviously ended in a rejection.

Right now, I'm debating whether to re-apply in the summer of 2016 or 2017. From, my calculations I could end up with a 3.42 sgpa/3.45 cgpa for next summer (2016) by taking a few additional classes, even higher if i take an additional year. I definitely have to retake the mcat and will be taking a course this time around. I've been working on setting up new volunteer work in hospitals and seeking research opportunities.

So my question is, would it be a better idea to apply in two years or to make sure that I have everything ready for next summer? Thank you for your input :)
I would recommend try to study for mcat first. Upward gpa is only appreciated with a decent mcat. With a decent mcat, it's worthwhile to improve your gpa. If you miss any important class (biochemical etc.), take it before studying mcat.

swarley1820

5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I would recommend try to study for mcat first. Upward gpa is only appreciated with a decent mcat. With a decent mcat, it's worthwhile to improve your gpa. If you miss any important class (biochemical etc.), take it before studying mcat.
Thanks! I've taken all the pre-reqs and I'm using this fall semester to focus on the areas I had trouble with, physics and biology. I just dont know if it would be in my best interest to apply next year or the following. Would med schools favor one option over the other?

Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks! I've taken all the pre-reqs and I'm using this fall semester to focus on the areas I had trouble with, physics and biology. I just dont know if it would be in my best interest to apply next year or the following. Would med schools favor one option over the other?
MCAT is the limiting factor, you need to apply when you have a good MCAT score, you gpa is not too low if you have 510+, if you are not taking mcat before June, then wait another year to apply. Med school wants to see applicants who are "ready" .