What should I do????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaching19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshmen in college.
So I got a C- in my chem class for 2nd quarter :( I passed....but should I retake it? I'm interested in both MD and DO schools. How would it look for them? It was a matter of being new to balancing work, school, and clubs:unsure:. But I'm gonna strive for better this upcoming quarter and so on!! I KNOW FOR SURE WILL NEED TO SHOW AN UPWARD TREND!!! ADVICES?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just do better next semester. You'll probably have to do a retake on that course eventually unless you have stellar performance elsewhere, but don't worry about that now, just focus on succeeding.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do better next semester. You'll probably have to do a retake on that course eventually unless you have stellar performance elsewhere, but don't worry about that now, just focus on succeeding.

Okay, yes succeeding! Thank you! ALSO DO YOU THINK MD/DO SCHOOLS WILL LOOK AT THE GRADE BECOME EXTREMELY CURIOUS AND EDGY OF ME AS A CANDIDATE?....I'm worried of that....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, yes succeeding! Thank you! ALSO DO YOU THINK MD/OD SCHOOLS WILL LOOK AT THE GRADE BECOME EXTREMELY CURIOUS AND EDGY OF ME AS A CANDIDATE?....I'm worried of that....

No. Just get better grades in Chem from now on and it can be explained pretty easily

Reactions: 1 user
1) its DO not OD lol

2) CAPS LOCK IS NOT NECESSARY

3) Some have policies that you need at least a C (no C-) in order to consider the pre-req satisfied. So you may have to retake. DO schools will only consider your retake grade, MD will average the two.

4) Many people get Cs. I got a C in gen chem and didnt retake it, and was still accepted plenty of places (MD and DO). Just do well in upper level science courses and kill the MCAT. Score well on the MCAT and no one will doubt your ability to titrate acid base reactions or whatever.

IMHO Gen Chem is pretty useless outside of understanding the basic concepts

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, yes succeeding! Thank you! ALSO DO YOU THINK MD/OD SCHOOLS WILL LOOK AT THE GRADE BECOME EXTREMELY CURIOUS AND EDGY OF ME AS A CANDIDATE?....I'm worried of that....
OD is an optometry degree. DO is an osteopathic physician degree. Did you mean the latter? Many physician schools publish minimal acceptable grades in a prerequisite. A C- is not acceptable. I agree, you'll need to retake eventually, get an A range grade on the second pass, and then do well in Organic Chem to show you can grasp complex material on the first round.

By no means are you out of the game if you readjust your study strategies and do well from now on. Be aware that DO schools will only count the most recent grade if you retake for the same credits. MD schools average a retake in with all other grades.

Reactions: 1 users