1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by hockeydentist, May 1, 2004.

1. hockeydentist

hockeydentist 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dear Sdners

I have a quandry of a pickle. I was waitlisted at Marquette, which is my only school that has said I am worthy of dentistry this year. What I am contemplating is whether I should continue to hold out for Marquette or call it quits and apply really early for 2005. Take the deposit money and use it for a Kaplan class to really prepare me for the DAT and Start all over. Starting with my Instate schools (Texas) and applying to a lot more out of state schools.

If I get into Marquette, should I take the acceptance and run with it to Wiscounsin. Screw waiting another year to try and get into my instate schools. Were looking at difference of at least 150,000 dollars. I think I can really do well on the DAT now that I have finished Orgo II and Orgo I. I would have 3 months of studying for the DAT along with the Kaplan course. I know some say that Kaplan is a waste, but I think it would be helpful for me.

Any positive or negative feedback would be appreciated.

HD
    ps does anybody know if Colorado or san Jose won today.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Colorado won again in OT 3-2. Sakic with the winner.

The glass-slippers are still fitting comfortably with the Flames...1-0 shutout win and a 3-2 series lead.

4. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

to the OP:

At this point in the game, you need to cover all the bases. Hold out for getting off the waitlist at Marquette, but you should definitely start the re-application process and try to improve the weak areas in your application.

If Marquette moves you off the waitlist, all the better-- Run with it and scoot up to Wisconsin ASAP. If they did not, at least you got something going in the works (with the reapplication) so you don't waste more time.

HTH!

5. quickfix

quickfix dental resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey quandry-pickle guy ;) ,

i think dr. tom hong, dds knows what he is talkin about. :rolleyes: start improving your application right now while you wait on marquette.

if u do get into marquette, i would say that you should go there and not worry about re-applying. i don't think u will be too upset about unnecessarily studying for a test u didn't have to take since u are holding an acceptance.

but if u don't get in, then you will already have a head start on next years cycle. that might help soften the blow a lil. good luck pickle. :thumbup:

6. Comet208

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    You are an out of stater... so i wouldnt hold my breath for getting off the waiting list at Marq at this point; so get ready to re-apply. However, if you get off the list, go with it, Marq is a great school with awsome facilities.

Comet

7. Dentin068

Dentin068 Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey dont get bummed out. Keep positive. My stats were nothing great 3.28 GPA and 19/19/16 on DAT. However, the major flaw I made was applying to only four schools (i.e. Columbia, Upenn, NYU and UCLA). I initially picked my schools since they have a good name in academics and since I am interested in specializing after recieving my DDS. In so many words don't apply to just four schools like I did. Give yourself a better chance!

8. hockeydentist

hockeydentist 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish something would happen already. My Patients is running low. I keep telling my self something good will happen. I thinks its this website, Everyone else is starting there career, here I am stuck in Waitlistville. I gotta get out this town. :laugh:

HD