What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

powerhouseofthecell

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a student at Hunter College (Lower-Junior) and took and finished Bio 1 this summer. It was the hardest class I've taken in my life (and I passed OCHEM with A's). It wasn't the material, it was straight forward, it was the tests she makes. Bio at Hunter College is notoriously known for being a GPA killer and many have warned me not to take it here. I told myself how hard could it be, I have the whole summer, more studying time, and no other classes to worry about. And I did, I worked my ass off and studied way more than I should've and knew the material by heart.

I got a D. OGPA: 3.43 --> 3.24 SGPA 3.48-->3.29

This did KILL my GPA. Now, since this is the grade majority of the class gets, D is considered a passing grade and allows you to take Bio 2, which I will be taking. This along with Physics 2. I know that I most likely will not do any better in Bio 2 because its the same professor.

I had a 4 year plan to graduate in 4 years, because Pre-Meds at Hunter don't graduate in 4 years (because of the insanely hard science classes, most end up failing and having to retake) but this D in Bio basically ruins my whole plan. Because even if I do retake Bio 1, its guaranteed I'm not getting any where near an A. So it won't do my GPA any good, and I'm only gonna retake it because a C is the cutoff for most dental schools.

Hunter only offers Bio 1 in the spring and Bio 2 in the Fall. So heres my dilemma.

If I do retake it Spring 2017, I will have to take it alongside Biochem 1(another infamous class) and Calclus 1 and a Chem elective. This feels nearly impossible as I would have to give majority of my time to Bio 1 and obviously I can't. So should I throw my 4 year plan in the garbage and space out my science classes more and stretch my undergrad into 5 years, so 3 more years. Or should I stay an extra semester, making it 4 1/2 years and space it out with a slightly better load. Or should I continue with my plan, and torture myself and end up getting terrible grades in these classes.

If I decide to stay the extra semester after senior year, how does applying to dental school work then. When would I have to take the DAT and when would apply, would I have to take a gap year.

I am torn, what would you guys recommend. 5 years route, extra semester after senior year, or take a gamble and go all in on the 4 year plan.

Heres there teacher that teaches Bio 1 at Hunter if you don't believe me: Classes are called Bio 100 & 102
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=480726
 
This leads me to question why people go to Hunter College in the first place. Sorry to hear about that, and as @ry_guy_chi said, spread out your harder classes so you can ensure a higher grade.