What Should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beerito

Non-trad.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright.. First time poster, long time reader. Everyone's situation is a little different, so I thought I would post a little to see what is the next step.. I am another classic career changer story, from wine to EMS. Currently an EMT-B on a 911 ambulance. Work in a hospital as well as an ED Tech.

Stats:
Graduated with a B.S. in Biochem 2013
URM: Hispanic Male
MCAT: 509
uGPA 3.0x, sGPA 3.13 (DO), sGPA 3.0x (MD).

Although, those GPA's include 20 units (4.0) of DIY PostBacc (PB) from CC's in the area. (Micro, Physiology, Pharmacology, Developmental Biology, Abnormal Psychology)

I also have a lot of shadowing time, family, ER, IM (hospitalist), combined... 300+

Volunteering both clinical and nonclinical in underserved rural populations both English speaking and not (1000's of hours)

I am in the process of applying to some formal PB's ( SFSU, CSUEB) and would like some direction if it would be prudent to apply to SMP's now or after a successful PB or to continue on with a DIY PB.

I know there is no quick way to GPA redemption, I am prepared for the long haul!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which Hispanic community?
Is that your only MCAT?
Thanks the reply! Mexican-American and yes. Is a retake in my future? I kind of figured I would need to score 514+ to be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is extraordinarily strong.
I have seen applications like yours get plenty of attention, as long as you can get your gpa's over 3.0...

Woah, thanks! I plan on taking a couple summer science courses through UCD, shooting for A's. That should put me around a 3.1ish.
I just have so many undergrad units to fight against.

So, plan is to try to get into a PB, Ace it. Then apply?

Woah, thanks! I plan on taking a couple summer science courses through UCD, shooting for A's. That should put me around a 3.1ish.
I just have so many undergrad units to fight against.

So, plan is to try to get into a PB, Ace it. Then apply?
With a strong trend and and a gpa over 3.0, you should get several interviews.

Reactions: 1 user

Once I get them up 3.0s, should I target lower tier schools? I think my state would be a bit out of reach (CA Resident).

Alright, just got off shift. With a little math magic, I need to get A's in 4-5 classes to get both GPA's to 3.15's.

I have seen success in CA for folks in your situation.
A well chosen OOS list will still be prudent.
Alright! When I'm finished with those classes I'll be back to get help with the OOS list.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Was accepted to the CSUEB Postbacc starting this Fall! I am really excited to be able to work hard to show a strong trend!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was admitted to the SFSU formal post bacc! I will be attending SFSU over CSUEB.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

First semester done at SFSU PHAP program! I took a full course load, worked full time and was able to secure a 4.0!

Reactions: 4 users
Another successful 4.0 semester!

I think I am going to take at least 5 more classes, which should push me to a 3.2ish..

Reactions: 3 users
Oomph.. I want able to secure a 4.0 this summer session. I had an A- which dropped my my GPA from a 4.0 to a 3.96! This isnt gonna be a nail in my coffin, right?

Alright. So my AMCAS sGPA is 3.15 and AACOMAS is 3.23 and my overall is ~3.3.

Take more classes?

Alright, would retaking the MCAT and potentially scoring higher in CARS, and hopefully overall, be a good idea?

I have a reserved a spot and started studying. Just want some feedback from the group.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Alright, I will be applying DO/MD this cycle. I will be applying to 23 DO and an unknown amount of MD schools.

I'm waiting for my commitee letter to be drafted, as well as my letter of rec from the DO I've shadowed. I have several letters from physicians I've worked closely with for the last 3 years, 2 from college professors and the commitee letter from my formal Post-Bacc program.

I know it is a long shot since my stats are not the greatest. But, I'm looking forward to this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
I know it is a long shot since my stats are not the greatest. But, I'm looking forward to this cycle!

I don't necessarily think it's as long of a shot as you may think it is. Good luck!

Ok, I need some advice on my MD school list. Here it is so far:
Mercer
UC Davis
UCLA Drew
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Any others I should add?

Last edited:
Offical Aacomas GPAs:
Cumulative: 3.04
Undergraduate Science: 3.18
Post-bacclaureate 3.98

Hopefully I will be getting some secondaries this cycle! I have one from NYIT. I think they send them out to everyone who applies. Any idea if this is true?

Offical Aacomas GPAs:
Cumulative: 3.04
Undergraduate Science: 3.18
Post-bacclaureate 3.98

Hopefully I will be getting some secondaries this cycle! I have one from NYIT. I think they send them out to everyone who applies. Any idea if this is true?
Yes, they send out secondaries to every applicant, but still a secondary!

Thanks for the positive vibes!!
Yes, they send out secondaries to every applicant, but still a secondary!

The GPA/sGPA I calculated vs the official are significantly different. Unfortunately not in my favor :-(

Mercer does not admit any non Georgia residents. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UCLA Drew
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
You can add these to your list:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Creighton
TCU-UNT
UC Irvine
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda

Thanks for the positive vibes!!

The GPA/sGPA I calculated vs the official are significantly different. Unfortunately not in my favor :-(
I know, I was trying to give some positive vibes. That may be true but being an URM will help you immensely even if your GPA/sGPA is not in the range of the school since most schools (NYIT included) really want diversity among their students.

Mercer does not admit any non Georgia residents. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UC Davis
UCLA Drew
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
You can add these to your list:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Creighton
TCU-UNT
UC Irvine
California University
Kaiser
Loma Linda
Thank you for your insight! I will be submitting an app to most of those schools!

Read the MSAR carefully and make your own list. Of course you're welcome to take other people's suggestions, but only you know your application and what would appeal to the med schools that you're applying to.

Random question that you might be asked: What makes you stand out?