What should I do?

Started by wes431
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wes431

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overall GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.1
Mcat: Taking it in Aug.

I did really bad my first two years. Made C's in both ochems and a C in cell bio. Then last two years, I was able to pull up my gpa.

EC:
100+ hrs shadowing 2 Cardiologists, Neurologist
400 hrs volunteering at hospital - 2 yrs, 4 hrs/wk
Worked at two physician clinics
Member of various school clubs/organizations
Volunteer for habitat for humanity
Volunteered at local Mission Center
Volunteer as a Big Brother to a 7 yr old
Excellent LORs from physicans I shadowed

I'm new to this idea of doing postbacc or special master program. I already know my gpa is low, so what's the best route that I should take? Would really appreciate any advice.
 
I actully have to kneel down and praise that godly GPA, upward trend, LOR and wonderful EC. You can probably get into a DO school given a good MCAT+personal statment(don't take my word for it).

Anyway,
If you really think you want to boost your application more, you should check out the SMP thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

or other traditional master programs (check at : http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ )

UMDNJ is the only one I can think of right now that accepts a winter admission into their Master in Biomedical Science program...

If you're going to go for programs next fall, you should probably do an advance science formal/informal postbac to pull your GPA up while you wait.

Good luck.
*goes back to mourning*
 
With those grades and ECs, I would take a shot at med schools actually. Science GPA might be low but pick up a copy of MSAR and look up average GPAs that are close to yours, and apply.

I have the same stats as you (actually almost the same GPAs) but my lack of ECs is deferring me from applying to med schools straight away.

I guess you can still do an SMP to prove to yourself and the adcoms that you can handle med school even if you did subpar in ochem/cell bio.
 
Thanks for the comments and advice. Well I can't apply right now for med school even if I wanted to do. I don't have my LORs and personal statement ready yet and I haven't done the application. I'm sure by the time I get that stuff done, along with my mcat, it will be too late. So I'll probably be applying to med school for the 2009 year.

What is postbac? I read some articles on it. Is that just taking upper level classes to boost your gpa? And for SMP, I saw the list, but are there any good ones in Texas since that's where I live? How is a traditional masters program different than a special masters program?