FractureFixer

Break it and you buy it!!
Jul 2, 2009
Following behind the Ambulance
Status
Medical Student
so scores came back and i got a 228. I dont know If i should be happy or sad. I am in limbo here. I was planning on competitive specialty and their averages are 230. SO i missed it by two points......... I really do not want to go into FM and with this score i may have to.....anyone with advice??:(

Steiner

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Washington
Status
Resident [Any Field]
228 is not a death sentence. Plenty of people match into competitive specialties w/ mid 220's. Apply across the spectrum of programs and you'll do what you want.

Jul 11, 2009
Status
no worries. Step I is just one piece of the application. Most people applying to competitive specialties w/ 220s match. Do research, get your name on a paper, do well in your clerkships, and you won't have any problem at all matching. Congrats on your score! Outside of SDN-world, it's considered very high.

Whats_up_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Puerto Rico
Status
so scores came back and i got a 228. I dont know If i should be happy or sad. I am in limbo here. I was planning on competitive specialty and their averages are 230. SO i missed it by two points......... I really do not want to go into FM and with this score i may have to.....anyone with advice??:(
This is the problem with med students (and residency directors) across the country. You have to "break" a score, or else your doomed. Dude, make sure you have other things in your application that make it shine. Is not the end of the world. And 228 FM --> give me a break. *sigh*

Pixelthecat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
Looking at the stats in the outcomes document, I see that 25% of the folks who matched for dermatology, for example, had scores of 229 or less. Makes competitive a bit harder, but not impossible.

fergustsi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]

dude, chill out. 228 is a great score. you arent doomed to FM. anesthesia avg is low 220s if i recall. the only things out of the running are plastics, prob derm, etc etc. the ultra elite 240+ specialties. you many even sneak into ortho if the numbers int he charting outcomes paper still hold true. you wont get your pick of a super selective location but you can still match. and if you truly want say derm, you should be willing to suck it up and live in alaska if you had to and then you can move post residency. youll be fine.

Sartre79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Advice: stop being such a douche bag

theman1990

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I suggest just giving up and resigning yourself to FM... NO ONE who scores below the average gets into whatever field they wanted. NO ONE. That's what makes derm so hard... Such a high average you are required to beat. Yup, you may want to go talk to your dean about leaving school completely with a score like that...

Whats_up_doc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Puerto Rico
Status
Time and time again, I've given this same advice. Any program worth its salt would look into douchebaggery above all other aspects of an applications.
Seriously, this reflects the lack of maturity of some students across the nation. This theory of ALL or NOTHING.. argh, I see it in the amphitheather with stupid questions, I see it on SDN with people who fall behind by two points. So tired of it. It's an AVERAGE, which means people may score above or below... Many other things compose the application process. To the OP TOUGHEN UP, this is not high school anymore. Research your possibilities (talk to your dean or residency directors) and stop whining on SDN.

Thank you for being a responsible medical student. :D

bambi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2003
England
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When you say 230 is the average for whatever specialty is that the average for applicants or people actually doing the job? If it's the latter, surely there isn't a lot to worry about, half the people will be below the average and you only just missed it.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Half of the people are above the median and half below. Your primary goal is to get an interview. Being strong once getting past the initial screening process is something within your control. Put Step 1 behind you and be happy at your score.

OP
FractureFixer

FractureFixer

Break it and you buy it!!
Jul 2, 2009
Following behind the Ambulance
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys for the support. I guess there is nothing I can do now....:( I ll just have to try and honor my rotations this year (which may be harder than step one) so ill probably miss honors by 2 points also.....FML

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Thanks guys for the support. I guess there is nothing I can do now....:( I ll just have to try and honor my rotations this year (which may be harder than step one) so ill probably miss honors by 2 points also.....FML
what an optimist!

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did you actually read the posts people made?

scube

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Home of the Horseshoe!!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looking at the stats in the outcomes document, I see that 25% of the folks who matched for dermatology, for example, had scores of 229 or less. Makes competitive a bit harder, but not impossible.
Im glad someone else knows how to use that document. I don't know why everyone looks at where the peak is and goes most (which isn't always true) got 241-250 so im screwed with a 230.

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Im glad someone else knows how to use that document. I don't know why everyone looks at where the peak is and goes most (which isn't always true) got 241-250 so im screwed with a 230.
It's like everything else in life. There are the vast majority who go with the flow and the minority that go above and beyond the minimum and do extra research/work to get at the facts/results. That's why there's one leader and many followers. It just works better that way.