Sep 27, 2009
69
0
Status
Pre-Dental
if i have a pre december interview last week in november, would it hurt me to get a later date. i havent scheduled it yet and i cant request off from work that week, most likely odds are i will get schedueld that day and i only have job for like a week so far. if they are interested in me now would it hurt me to go after december 1st? (maryland) or should i just hope my job doesnt get too pissed if i cant someone to cover and i call out.
 
Jul 28, 2009
7
0
Status
Pre-Dental
If I were you i would just take the date they are giving you now. They might have people scheduled for some days in december already and therefore you might not get anything til mid december or later..
 

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
8,154
2,287
Status
Dentist
What's more important?
 
Apr 17, 2010
103
0
Status
Dental Student
Some schools told me that they decide their Dec 1st acceptances sometime in the middle of November. Even if you have it the week before, you probably wont have a decision by Dec 1.
 
Jun 18, 2010
75
0
Status
Pre-Dental
obviously this person thinks that the interview and going to dental school is important. the ideal result would be to both go on the interview and keep the current job, so they're just asking for advice on how to go about this situation.

i think you should just call the school and tell them your problem. ask them if you can reschedule and what the earliest date is and also if you do this, will it decrease your chances of getting accepted. tell them you really want to go on this interview but you also don't want to be fired from your job and so on. i think they'll understand and be a little flexible for you.

i don't think a few weeks difference in interview dates will make THAT big of a difference (but again, you can call and ask). you got the interview already so obviously they want to meet you.
 

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
5,646
158
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
if i have a pre december interview last week in november, would it hurt me to get a later date. i havent scheduled it yet and i cant request off from work that week, most likely odds are i will get schedueld that day and i only have job for like a week so far. if they are interested in me now would it hurt me to go after december 1st? (maryland) or should i just hope my job doesnt get too pissed if i cant someone to cover and i call out.
come on dude... that job of yours ain't gonna make you a dentist, the interview could tho. Ditch the job (even if they fire you), the pre-december interviews from what I understand are pretty powerful.
 
Feb 17, 2010
204
0
Status
obviously this person thinks that the interview and going to dental school is important. the ideal result would be to both go on the interview and keep the current job, so they're just asking for advice on how to go about this situation.

i think you should just call the school and tell them your problem. ask them if you can reschedule and what the earliest date is and also if you do this, will it decrease your chances of getting accepted. tell them you really want to go on this interview but you also don't want to be fired from your job and so on. i think they'll understand and be a little flexible for you.

i don't think a few weeks difference in interview dates will make THAT big of a difference (but again, you can call and ask). you got the interview already so obviously they want to meet you.
I agree with what k00laid wrote. Obviously the OP cares about getting into dental school. Call the school and see what you can do to reschedule. Or try to pay someone off to take your shift at work if possible.

I hope I get another pre-Dec interview, but even if I did, I wouldn't be able to take any time off of work during the last two weeks of Nov. It's easy to tell someone to ditch work and go to the interview, but dental school admission is not guaranteed. What if the OP ditches work, gets fired, and doesn't get into dental school at all this year? I don't know about the OP, but as a non-traditional student who also works full-time, I would kinda be screwed if I lost my job for that reason and didn't get into dental school. Even though the recession is technically over, it can still be very hard to find another job. Of course, if I knew I'd get into dental school though, I'd definitely just skip work for the interview. And yes, I know being fired for ditching work for a day or two is unlikely but it's possible. Maybe the OP can't risk that. Only the OP knows for sure though.
 
OP
B
Sep 27, 2009
69
0
Status
Pre-Dental
im just gonna call out sick that day from work...i dont htink i should ask for off cuz i know they wont go for it! and then they will know i blatenly didnt come in after they say i have to. maybe i wont get scheduled tho , but i just know i will be! lol. def going to interview !