What Should I Do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member59x92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would submit ASAP. You don't need to mention the osteopathy thing in your primaries. You will have plenty of opportunities to do it in your secondaries.

Hello All,
I am a UCLA graduate who lives in Cali. My cGPA is 3.34 and sGPA is 3.11. I got a 31M and the MCAT. I have plenty of clinical and research experience and have shadowed as well, but only MDs.

Question 1: What schools do you think I would have the best chances of getting in to?
Question 2: I am in the process of setting up some shadowing time with a DO, but I may not be able to actually do it for another couple weeks. Should I wait until I have some DO shadowing experience so that I may describe it in the extra-curricular section of the primary, or should I just turn it in now, saying that I will be doing it shortly? I'm just getting a bit anxious about waiting any longer to submit.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
My advice:
1. Do you research and make sure that you can see yourself as an osteopathic physician.
2. If you want to be a D.O. Then submit your application right away and apply broadly. You can send in your application to schools that just want a physician letter. Make sure to explain why you fit the DO philosophy. Make sure you shadow a DO physician and then have them write a letter for you. As long as you can do this by September you should have a chance.
3. If you want to go M.D. Then don't apply this year and enroll in a graduate program or SMP. Apply once you finish this.

Most importantly, just stay true to yourself with your decision and be positive through the whole process. Hope this helps.