Medical What should I include in letter of intent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently received an email from a school I'm waitlisted at. The email asked waitlisted students to send in LOIs to help the admissions committee make acceptance decisions. Although I would like to send a LOI, I don't have many updates to share, and I wonder if the updates I do have are appropriate to put in a LOI. I would appreciate advice on which, if any, of the below updates are LOI-worthy. Thank you!

- I'm working as a part-time medical transcriptionist at a dermatopathology lab during my gap year, but I don't have any significant updates about the job. It's simply been going.
- I'm a production assistant on a podcast about diversity, equity, and inclusion in medicine. The podcast (team) recently won a chapter award from the local chapter of the American College of Physicians. Additionally, I worked on the podcast's first series of sponsored episodes, and I will be receiving a healthy stipend for my contributions. Finally, I've trained the other production assistants as well as the assistant producers on the team on how to navigate a new recording platform.
- I've appeared as a guest speaker at events for a number of pre-med/pre-health student organizations from my undergraduate institution. This generally consists of me talking about my pre-med experience and answering student questions. Audiences have ranged from ~10-50 students per event.
- I participated in a short-term fashion internship and began voice-acting during my spare time. (These are the least relevant updates, but I wanted to put them out there in case they could portray me positively as an applicant with diverse interests.)
I don't understand why they would elicit an LOI, but if they're asking for it I suppose I would keep it short and sweet. Say that if accepted you would attend, and just say that you've received that award for the podcast and continued your job.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand why they would elicit an LOI, but if they're asking for it I suppose I would keep it short and sweet. Say that if accepted you would attend, and just say that you've received that award for the podcast and continued your job.
They're either needy or like seeing students grovel.

OP, the LOI isn't about updates. It's about intent.

List all the reasons why the school is a good fit for you, and you for them

How long have you been on this waitlist? I think the reason is to determine who on the waitlist is still seriously considering the school for an offer once the big waitlist shuffle begins in May. That said, the way I would do this would NOT involve soliciting LOIs. Keep it short... yes you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.