What should I put in "subject" of an email when I'm asking for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coralfangs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That prof is super busy.
He knew me in class because I was the youngest (a 23yr old graduate student among all the other MBA students).
That's about it I guess
So what subject should I put?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually went up and asked personally...since all the profs i asked know me well.

I'd put "Letter of Recommendation." Unless you're trying to sneak attack him and don't want him to know what the email is about by just reading the subject line. If that's the case, I'd try "Not Letter of Recommendation." :D

Members don't see this ad :)
"Want 2 B Huge? All natural bigger for make woman pleasure!"

but seriously, ask in person.

use, "Letter of Recommendation Request"

Don't send an email. Something that important merits at the very least a phone call, but I highly suggest as have others a personal visit for your LOR request.

Good luck.
T

Definitely ask in person. You need to be able to gauge the prof's reaction when you ask. If he seems hesitant or less than enthusiastic you should ask another prof because you're letter probably isn't going to be very good.

I would ask for a meeting request through an e-mail.

I think it would be better to ask in person, or at least over the phone. Emailing to request a meeting is fine. After you ask the professor, then it is appropriate to follow up with an email thanking them for agreeing to write it, and also reiterating your time line. It is also a good idea to provide them with a written reminder of times and dates and courses in which you have interacted with them. And a summary of your academics and career goals. Also get the mailing information for the schools or letter handling service that you want the letter sent to.

I used something along the lines of "hello from a former student" for my emails. I asked them if they would be willing to meet with me to discuss the possibility of a recommendation, but not for the letter up front. That said, I would go see them in person if at all possible. I finally had to do that for one professor and she showed me her inbox which had a couple hundred messages (she had been on vacation for almost 3 weeks). There's no telling when (if) she would've gotten it.

That prof is super busy.
He knew me in class because I was the youngest (a 23yr old graduate student among all the other MBA students).
That's about it I guess
So what subject should I put?
thanks!

I put "Letter of recommendation".

Members don't see this ad :)
"So tell me why I am the awesome"

Remember, it's not just awesome... it's "the awesome". :laugh:

I would ask for a meeting request through an e-mail.

You should suggest a meeting in the email, but if this is not possible for whatever reasons (they or you are not at school/in the same state etc) then there is no reason why you can't get a perfectly good response through email. Everyone always advises against emailing letter of recommendation requests but so far I have asked for three this way with good results, everyone's busy and meeting just to ask for a favor doesn't really make sense unless they really don't know who you are. I usually wrote "A Huge Favor" or "LOR Request" depending on my relationship with the professor (depending on whether I had addressed them by first name or DR._____ in class).

Don't worry about emailing the request, and good luck!

You should suggest a meeting in the email, but if this is not possible for whatever reasons (they or you are not at school/in the same state etc) then there is no reason why you can't get a perfectly good response through email. Everyone always advises against emailing letter of recommendation requests but so far I have asked for three this way with good results, everyone's busy and meeting just to ask for a favor doesn't really make sense unless they really don't know who you are. I usually wrote "A Huge Favor" or "LOR Request" depending on my relationship with the professor (depending on whether I had addressed them by first name or DR._____ in class).

Don't worry about emailing the request, and good luck!

Yeh, I guess you are right. Actually, even though I was one of the one's that advised against emailing a request ... I think that I actually did it myself when asking one professor last year. It wasn't a problem. I still think it's probably preferable to ask in person or on the phone though. However, the little details and finer points of etiquitte start to seem like bigger and bigger deals as the stress starts to pile on. In the end most of our worries probably don't make much difference.

I posted in one thread last year where a bunch of us were actually discussing what type of envelope was best to use for mailing secondaries. The major argument pertained to whether folding the application was acceptable versus using a big envelope to keep it flat. :laugh: It really doesn't matter.

I wrote "hi!" as the subject....then told them how much I enjoyed their class and how I would be honored if they would write me a letter of rec....then i said "I would love to come in to talk to you about this in detail. When would be the best time for you?" and thats that!

my subject line was "your pen is mightier than a sword" and then the first sentence was "at least in terms of medical school admissions. Hello Dr. X"

Subject "Write me a letter and I'll give you a cookie"

Is there a reason you don't want to, or can't, ask in person?

I sent an email asking how they were doing, if they remember me, and basically updated them on what I'm doing, my plans..etc. Then I followed up with a "Letter of Recommendation Request". After that, I talked to them on the phone. Because I attended undergrad in a different state, I wasn't able to meet with them personally. I therefore had no choice but to use email and phone calls. I've stayed in touch with my LOR writers and update them each week on the status of my applications. This way, they know that I'm not just using them for LORs. I was a bit nervous at first 'cos I've been out of college for two years, but everything worked out. What also helped was that my college had small class sizes, so my professors remembered me. Good luck.

how does the whole asking for a LOR in person work? when you email them to make an appointment, do you say what the meeting is for? or do you just show up in their office?

To: Professor
Subject: I am awesome

Or how about

Subject: Re: I'd love to write you a LOR coralfangs!!
Body: Thanks for so readily agreeing professor! If I could have it by next month that'd be super!

See, this way the professor with think they've already agreed and will go ahead and do it. You avoid the awkward initial asking too! This can't fail, right?