What should I take?

Monkey.King

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I finish up Algerbra 2/trigonometry and I requested probability and statistics for my senior year schedule. I opted for that class because I'm bad at math and it requires me to study 2x as hard than other classes. But I feel like I'm putting myself at a disadvantage since some med schools require calculus, and I'll probably have to take it in college anyway. Is it better for me to just take calculus SL my senior year to at least have some form of background while in college? Or will professors just start from the very basics anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, some schools require calculus, others don't (you can complete it by fulfilling statistics). College calculus takes one year of high school calculus and crams it into a semester. So, it might not be ideal for you if you claim to not have the math skills. I would take the high school level calculus if you are confident you can get at least a B, it will make transitioning to college math a lot easier.

I would suggest taking statistics as it is a pre-requisite for many medical schools. You may have to retake it during college but at least you will have some experience with the subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to take both if you can. If not take statistics only if it's an AP course and you can apply the credit in college. Otherwise Calculus is imperative. I'm taking Intro to Calc and AP stats next year and I'm not especially talented in math or anything. You can do it.

Try to take both if you can. If not take statistics only if it's an AP course and you can apply the credit in college. Otherwise Calculus is imperative. I'm taking Intro to Calc and AP stats next year and I'm not especially talented in math or anything. You can do it.
You only need Calculus if you're going to do Calculus-based Physics. I took the course my senior year and regret doing so despite receiving an A. It is a great class to take to begin to think conceptually though so best of luck my friend!

Statistics >>>> Calculus. It is far more applicable to research both in undergrad and when you do epidemiology in med school. You will NEVER use calculus again unless you become an engineer. I don't even remember what an integral is.

Again - getting into med school isn't about taking all the hardest classes. It's about taking classes intelligently. The adcom isn't going to sit there and be like "Oh, he didn't take Calculus based physics." For 90% of med schools, both MD and DO, they don't even care if you've taken all your core sciences at a community college. Remember that adcoms on average get 5000+ applications per year at newer schools and close to 9000+ at established schools. They have time to look at your GPA, MCAT, and personal statement (and even this they won't read in-depth). So in summary - take whatever you want along with your prereqs, keep your GPA high, study your ass off for the MCAT.

You only need Calculus if you're going to do Calculus-based Physics. I took the course my senior year and regret doing so despite receiving an A. It is a great class to take to begin to think conceptually though so best of luck my friend!
My main drive to take Calculus is mainly because math in general teaches you to think and problem solve; I like keeping a sharp mind. Additionally, there are statistics on the MCAT which point to those with the highest scores usually having majored in physics, engineering, economics, etc.

here is the link if you're interested. https://www.aip.org/sites/default/files/statistics/undergrad/mcat-lsat1.pdf

Thanks for the replies everyone, I decided to do calculus. R.i.p my sanity and free time

Thanks for the replies everyone, I decided to do calculus. R.i.p my sanity and free time
You won't regret it ;). You can always start fresh with Stats, but Calc is cumulative learning and requires math you learned from previous courses.