Medical What should my gap year plan be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance for any help.

I have applied to and originally wanted to spend a year at the NIH for the NIH IRTA program. However, now that I've gotten the chance to think about it, I don't think that it is the best use of my time. First, my mom recently had surgery and needs an extra pair of hands around the house while she recovers. Also, I have spent most of my life doing science, and will probably spend the most of the rest of my life doing science as well, so it compels me ask if I have to spend my one year gap doing that also. I kind of want to spend the time doing something that is not science. For the first half, just reading about many different topics, creating short films which I've wanted to do for a while and writing. The second half, I was hoping to spend in India learning an ancient form of martial arts. I am scared that this might come off as strange to admissions committee. Is it okay to take a break from science to do other non-science things? I feel that this will rejuvenate me, diversify my knowledge and help me become more mature. I will be graduating undergrad and applying to med schools this coming summer. Here is the rest of my application for reference:

• GPAs
    • cGPA: 3.99
    • sGPA: 3.99
  • MCAT
    • 521 (131/130/129/131)
  • State of Residence
    • Ohio
  • Ethnicity/Race
    • ORM, South Asian
  • Undergrad Institution
    • Public
  • Clinical Experience
    • Around 300 hours of hospital volunteering/patient contact through first responder volunteer
  • Research Experience
    • Around 3000 research hours (basic science)
    • Wrote a grant for and won a summer fellowship
    • Won travel award through university
    • 1 first author poster
      • Presented at 4 conferences (3 local, 1 national)
    • 1 publication (4th author) in the review process (not sure if it will be published by the time of application)
  • Shadowing
    • 70 hours
      • Neurosurgery
      • Adult congenital disease cardiology
      • Pediatric cardiology
      • Interventional cardiology
      • Family physician
  • Non-clinical
    • 300 hours
    • Started tutoring service for underprivileged students in the local community
    • Started a program to help international students adjust to the local climate through temporary housing
    • Helped develop a national COVID helpline, helped over 300 students
    • Other miscellaneous things
  • Extracurricular
    • President of two student organizations (founded one)
      • One is considered one of the top at the university (4 awards)
    • Resident Advisor
    • TA for OChem
    • Peer-tutor for 1 year
    • Developed an app to help Parkinson's patients
      • Currently trying to get a patent
      • Two awards and funding from the university hospital
    • Global Brigades trip
    • Developed a plan for the university hospital to decrease readmissions and presented it to the quality team and will be implemented
    • Hobbies
      • Self-taught artist
        • Designer for an Instagram page about culture and identity
      • Self-taught flutist
  • Awards
    • Dean’s list (all semesters)
    • Research fellowship
    • 4 awards for student organization
    • 1 award from the state for the tutoring program
    • University scholarship
    • 2 leadership awards
    • Hospital grant for app

@Goro @Mr.Smile12 @Med Ed and anyone else. Your advice is deeply appreciated.
What is your reasoning for taking a gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

@TheBoneDoctah To allow me more time to study more the MCAT (took it in September of last year), to not have to complete applications during school, and so I can take a break from academics and work on my hobbies like writing, art, and film. That was my initial reasoning. But then I felt my application was not competitive enough and wanted to do a research postbac to seem more impressive. But now I'm thinking my original plans are more fulfilling, except I do not know if it is a red flag to not to something science related.
Sorry, I am a little lost on your timeline. When are you thinking about applying and when is your gap year?

You’re competitive now.

I am graduating May 2021, applying June 2021 and starting med school Fall 2022, so part of my gap year would go towards applying.
I think the reason you aren't getting a ton of input is that you're clearly a competitive applicant no matter what you do. If doing those things would make you happy, then you should do those things. If for some bizarre reason you don't get accepted, it will be because you either applied exclusively to hyper-competitive schools (where nothing is guaranteed even to the strongest of applicants) or because there is some red flag in your app that isn't obvious. Not because you did something unusual during your gap year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by my for with schools? Would networking just be reaching out to students at the schools I am interested in and asking them about it? Thank you!
Focus on your list of preferred schools. Reach out to SNMA, AMSA, and student groups where you would be most likely joining if you went there. You must find your fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.