What should my next steps be?

Started by Jc168168
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jc168168

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have recently been thinking about going to med school and I am not sure where to start as I am a non-traditional student.

I am a rising senior with a psych and neuroscience double major, though most of my courses are in psychology. I had been planning on going to a PhD program in clinical psychology, but don't think that I will get in due to competition. Of course, I know that med school is incredibly competitive as well, but I do think that it will fit better with my current aspirations as well.

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.66
major GPA: 3.85 (psych) 3.66 (neuroscience)

I've taken many research courses in psychology, am a part of one psychology lab (cognition), one neuroscience lab (cell and molec), and work as both a psych tutor and a writing center tutor. I am going to intern at a psychiatric inpatient unit for children this month as well.

My question is if I should apply for a post-bacc for med school pre-requisites this year, or should I wait a year and get more experience? Is there even hope? I am slightly worried about my gpa, as I have taken intro to bio 1&2 and did decently on those classes, but did poorly in my gen chem class. I took these courses freshman year and truthfully gave up on the chem class towards the end when I should have withdrawn.

I am open to any criticism and suggestions.

#1