Medical What should my next steps be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to this question. I greatly appreciate it especially given the stressful circumstances that surround premed, prehealth, etc. I hope you and your loved ones are doing well and are staying safe.

I graduated from a T20 with a B.S. in biology and a cumulative 3.196 GPA. My BCPM GPA I believe was around 2.8. I received mostly Bs, B-s, C+s, and Cs in my science and prerequisite courses. I have taken courses since graduating and my post-baccalaureate GPA is around a 3.88. This includes upper level science courses that I have taken through University of California - Berkeley Extension. I had a very hard time in college but have tried my best to turn around my study habits and my approach to learning.

Therefore my current stats (undergrad + post-bacc) are as follows: cGPA = 3.27; BCPM = 3.01; no MCAT score yet.

I have applied to Boston University's MAMS SMP program for the 2021-2022 year and am awaiting a response. I was actually accepted to this program for the 2020-2021 year, but declined to attend due to COVID-19 and other personal issues at the time. I am crossing my fingers that I will be readmitted, but overall I am confident in my chance at achieving acceptance.

After contemplating some things, I am truly torn between doing the Boston MAMS program or a certificate post-baccalaureate program where I would retake all my prerequisite courses again. I had applied to BU MAMS before finding an existing post-bacc prehealth program at a local state college with very inexpensive tuition. I completely understand that normal advice is to never retake a C or better, but I am concerned that I do not have the background needed to succeed on the MCAT (I have NOT taken the MCAT exam yet but did receive a 498 and 500 on diagnostic exams in July 2020). This specific post-bacc program would allow me to not only retake all my prereqs, but I would be able to take upper level chemistry and math courses that I have always been interested in. Therefore, I would be able to refresh my knowledge of MCAT topics while helping my undergraduate GPAs. Again, I know that it is hard to move one's GPA after accumulating many credits, but I would still be able to show an upward trend in grades.

Additionally, I figured that while doing the post-bacc I could work on other portions of my app like working/volunteering in a clinical setting since I am getting my EMT and PCT/EKG/Phleb technician certifications. I could also get some more research experience.

My question is: would my time be better spent doing the SMP or doing the post-bacc? Even if I do the post-bacc first, I would still do an SMP down the road anyway so I would probably apply to BU MAMS yet again in addition to Georgetown, Tufts, etc.

I am really asking this question from the perspective of someone who still has other aspects of their application to improve on: should I go right into the SMP and then worry about improving other aspects of my app or do I improve aspects of my app and then do the SMP?

Sorry for the long text and any confusing wording! Again, thank you for your time and I would be happy to donate to this site!!!
Do the post-bac. You need to do well on the MCAT. In addition, doing well in the post-bac means that you don't need to do an SMP.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m sorry, one more question: does your advice remain the same if I am aiming mostly for MD schools in the future?

Thank you!
Impossible to answer without seeing your post-bac GPAs and your MCAT score. But in general, reinventors need to have DO schools on their list, as beggars can't be choosy.

My vote is to do the post-bac. Your success at getting into medical school is going to rely on your MCAT score and if you feel you can't get there without retaking the science courses then that is the path you need to take. Make sure you absolutely ace your post-bac though. If you do, you may not even have to do the SMP (which would save you time, money, and stress).

Do NOT waste time right now getting more research experience. There are other things like clinical experience/non-clinical volunteer that are way more important for medical school admissions than research right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.