Medical What should my reapplication plan be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wise SDNers, thank you so much for taking the time to offer advice on this forum. I’d really appreciate it if you could help me identify some weak points in my current application so I can apply smarter next cycle. Currently, I have no interviews (complete end of August through the first week of September).

Where I think I went wrong: Took a gap year job in research instead of scribing. Unrealistic school list. Very limited non-clinical volunteering. Applied late(ish).

I think I need more meaningful clinical experience, non-clinical volunteering, and need to apply DO (especially as a reinventor…). I am only hesitant to apply DO because I do not know how step going to p/f will affect DOs. After not receiving any MD interviews I know I am not in a place to be choosy...

I know I can apply to DO right now, but I want to give it another cycle and see if the improvements I can make in the meantime can give me any traction at MD programs for next year. I will definitely apply to both MD and DO schools next cycle.

App improvements for next (2021) cycle:
  • 200 hours as an EMT (planned)
  • 50 hours as COVID contact tracer
  • 100 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter
  • 50 hours crisis text line
  • 2000 hours translational research + publication (some patient contact but the vast majority at the bench)
——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Current (2020) application

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): IL
Ethnicity and/or race: ORM (white)

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS

First Bachelor’s GPA: 3.0
First Bachelor’s sGPA: 3.1
Second Bachelor’s GPA: 3.91 (60 credits)
Second Bachelor’s sGPA: 3.88 (41 credits science)
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.5

MCAT score(s) and breakdown

(128/128/129/129)

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)

310 hours - clinical volunteering across two organizations

Research experience and productivity

1500 hours basic science - poster

Shadowing experience and specialties represented

55 hours across 3 specialties

Non-clinical volunteering

~40 hours, nothing very recent

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)

Organizing philanthropic events (several hundred people)
Student government
Peer tutoring

Current School List

U of Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Einstein
St. Louis
MCW (ties)
Stony Brook
Temple
BU
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington
Kaiser
Tulane
Mt. Sinai

NYMC - hold
Wisconsin (ties) - R
Indiana (ties) - R
I see an app that is massively research heavy and patient contact lite and even less light on nonclinical volunteering. Shadowing is OK. Reinvention history is wonderful.

I suggest:
Dartmouth
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Your state schools
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI
Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.