what should we do between MS1 and MS2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ball372

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most students work, play, do research during the summer between their first and second year of med school? Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

ball372 said:
Do most students work, play, do research during the summer between their first and second year of med school? Thanks for your time!

catch up on TV

Get married and do a small stint in ICU at the local hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to teach gross anatomy to the PT, Nurse Anesthetist, and Pathology assistants. Our school asks people who do well in Gross to teach in the summer.

I'll either do research in a surgical department at my school, or travel to france.

To answer the original question, I think the numbers just divide pretty evenly into those 3 categories; I have heard people say they are going to do each one (different people of course). It all depends on the person, I guess.

shocker said:
I am going to teach gross anatomy to the PT, Nurse Anesthetist, and Pathology assistants. Our school asks people who do well in Gross to teach in the summer.

Oooooo....looks like you're a Brody person! Just FYI, that summer teaching job is tough. People enjoyed doing it and they're not going to have to study for that part of Step 1, but I did the Brody research program, got paid the same (plus a free lunch every week), and had much, MUCH more free time. Teaching is good and fun, but if you're expecting to have a relaxing summer then you may want to rethink it.

I did summer research in the ED, wrote an abstract, wrote an article, and took it to a regional conference in the fall and will be presenting it at a national conference in the Spring (well, I hope I get to present it...I'm not sure if the conference is during finals week). I chose to do research b/c I needed something that would boost my CV a bit, I needed to pay rent over the summer, and I was actually interested in it. I also got to spend time just hanging out in the ED and seeing patients, which I really enjoyed. The nature of my research was such that I was working from home most of the time and doing a lot of writing, so it was pretty much done on my schedule and I had plenty of time to hang out with friends, exercise, watch TV, and what not. My boyfriend even lived with me for a week and 2 of my college friends came down and visited me another week. It was definetly worth it.

Bottom line: do something you'll enjoy. This is the last big summer you'll have for awhile so don't commit yourself to research/teaching unless it's something that you'll really enjoy doing.