What should YOU ask the interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When given the opportunity to ask the interviewer questions about the school, what kind of questions should you ask?

I know each school is different, but can you give examples of the questions you asked about the school just to get an idea?

Thanks to all who reply!

Members don't see this ad.

NUgirl,

I guess you could say that some of the questions I asked were brown-nosing. I asked things like "what do you expect out of your students in your classes?" "Why do you teach here at this school?" "What brought you to this school in the first place?" "What can I do as a student to accel in your coursework?" and "Are you going to recommend me for acceptance?"

Only ask the last one if you absolutely feel like you and the interviewer connected and are comfortable with it. I only asked that one once and will be attending that school (KCOM) in the fall.

Good luck with your interviews.

Ben

Heres a couple I like to ask:

1. "What are the greatest strenghts/biggest weakness of the program?"

2. "Why did you choose this program?"

3. "What research oppurtunies are available to student?"

4. "When do students get their first real dose of clincial exposure?"

Good Luck! :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
I like to ask if the environment is cut-throat or if members of the class are helpful to each other.

I asked about research opportunities, but I referred to an article in an oseopathic journal written by N. Geitz, which basically stated that research has to be a bigger part of osteopathic schools in order to get any recognition. This is really good if one of your interviewers is really involved in research ie a PhD.

Excellent question, but remember you are not only trying to look good but also trying to obtain useful information. Here are some things you should learn during your interview, either during the formal question session or from a student during "down time."

1. Are students required to take and pass COMLEX part 1 before starting clinicals? Are they required to take and pass COMLEX part 2 before graduation? IMHO, these requirements reflect that a school trusts its teaching and has high expectations of students. Not all schools require you to take or pass these tests, but of course you can't progress in your career without them.

2. What provisions are in place for students who struggle academically? Peer tutoring? Faculty tutoring? Formal arrangements versus informal pep talk?

3. May I see a list of where last year's grads went for residency training?

4. What percentage of the first year class typically graduates? What happened to the others - flunked out? Kicked out? Dropped out?

5. Will this school require that I perform tests, procedures or surgery on animals? (Better know now if you'll have a problem with it later).

6. Do we use real cadavers or plastic models in anatomy lab?

7. What do you see as the biggest challenge this program faces in the next few years, and what is being done to address this challenge?

8. Is this school accredited?

9. What type of help will I have in scheduling rotations? Will I be helped in my residency application process if I choose to do an allopathic residency rather than osteopathic?

10. Is there maternity leave time available? (Sounds ridiculous, but I had a friend who had to leave the hospital AMA 24 hours after delivery with a fever of 102 because she had a required final exam --I won't mention the school).

11. Is there a summer vacation each year? How long is it?

12. What type of board preparation does the school sponsor (i.e. PAY FOR).

13. Where do the students "hang out?" Wouldn't hurt to go check out that area and evesdrop.

14. THIS ONE WORKS: Are there any questions you have about me that I haven't adequately addressed?

15. Can I leave now?

Best wishes.

thank you all for your thoughtful questions! They were all a big help. I now have an idea what I should be asking.