What specialty has the best working hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stookie

Slick Nasty
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't mean residency hours, and location ie) hospital, private practice

Members don't see this ad.

stookie said:

umm i dont know, maybe derm?

stookie said:

Agree question is too vague.

Two of my pediatric attendings only work 2 1/2 days a week splitting a full time post, mostly in outpt clinic.

But maybe generally for low hours the ROAD specialties, pathology, pm&r.

Probably derm... look at it like this, I'm ER and this is a very general breakdown of who gets called in the middle of the night for admits, etc:

FP, IM, Cardio - all the time
Nephro, Ortho - fairly often
Gen Surg, Peds, Endo, Heme/Onc, Uro, OB/Gyn, Pulm, GI - occassional

ICU staffed by CCM guys 24/7 (shift work) and CT, U/S, etc read 24/7 by rads guys (also shift work)

I have never called a dermatologist and don't have psych services.

That being said you would be better off doing what you like and working a schedule that is agreeable to you. You won't have much say about your schedule in residency, but there are actually a wide variety of practice options afterwards.

radonc isnt bad, usually 8-5 (or 7:30-5:30) at most places (university setting or private practice)

drifter said:
Probably derm... look at it like this, I'm ER and this is a very general breakdown of who gets called in the middle of the night for admits, etc:

FP, IM, Cardio - all the time
Nephro, Ortho - fairly often
Gen Surg, Peds, Endo, Heme/Onc, Uro, OB/Gyn, Pulm, GI - occassional

ICU staffed by CCM guys 24/7 (shift work) and CT, U/S, etc read 24/7 by rads guys (also shift work)

I have never called a dermatologist and don't have psych services.

That being said you would be better off doing what you like and working a schedule that is agreeable to you. You won't have much say about your schedule in residency, but there are actually a wide variety of practice options afterwards.

Even so, many IM and FP don't admit their own patients anymore. They contract with hospitalists, and the hospitalists are the ones who are called in the middle of the night to admit the patient, and will take care of the patient in the hospital If that's the case then the IM and FP docs only have to worry about running the office, and they can set their office hours to whatever they want. I think for the most part, physicians can pretty much find a practice that matches whatever type of lifestyle they want to live. That being said, Dermatologist working 35 hours a week will most likely earn more money than an Internist working 35 hours a week, but money isn't everything.