What specifically has driven up psychiatry salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya trust me I worked for Kaiser before. I agree it’s soul crushing. Yet I feel like they have no problems finding psychiatrists to sign with them. If it’s so easy to make 700k/yr, that wouldn’t be the case. So I disagree with the statement “it’s definitely not hard to gross 700k in SoCal.”
I was saying that Kaiser used to be a nice lifestyle with good perks and people may have taken that over a high salary. It's really not that hard to gross $700k in psych anywhere if you're willing to piece together multiple jobs and be a workhorse at jobs that aren't the most desirable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you underestimate the number of psychiatrists out there who just want to follow the dotted line, don't want to take risks, or don't know how to think outside of the box.

Also, my understanding in talking to friends who receive care at Kaiser is that it's nearly impossible to get in to see a psychiatrist at kaiser (at least in California). How many psychiatrists are actually employed by Kaiser in California anyways? A few dozen to a hundred? I don't know, but it certainly doesn't seem like they have a bunch. Probably not hard to find a hundred people to sign up to do anything for a few hundred K, regardless of what other options are out there.
Kaiser has over 500 psychiatrists in California and covers 40% of the healthcare market.

Reactions: 6 users
I think you underestimate the number of psychiatrists out there who just want to follow the dotted line, don't want to take risks, or don't know how to think outside of the box.

Also, my understanding in talking to friends who receive care at Kaiser is that it's nearly impossible to get in to see a psychiatrist at kaiser (at least in California). How many psychiatrists are actually employed by Kaiser in California anyways? A few dozen to a hundred? I don't know, but it certainly doesn't seem like they have a bunch. Probably not hard to find a hundred people to sign up to do anything for a few hundred K, regardless of what other options are out there.
Fair enough. Looks like psychiatry can be the land of milk and honey everywhere, including SoCal. Kudos to you guys

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaiser has over 500 psychiatrists in California and covers 40% of the healthcare market.
Thanks for looking that data up. They have 9M members in CA. So they are way off the minimum recommendation of 1 psychiatrist to 10k people and actually closer to 1 per 18k people.

They are clearly understaffed (perhaps by choice). I do often see kaiser ads looking for psychiatrists. Perhaps they aren't getting as many people running to work for them as it may appear to some.

I then have a correctional gig which requires me to be available in person half the day and then available by phone half the day. This works out to 160/hr but I'm paid for the entire 24 hours. I do this 5 days a month. So I will work a Friday through Tuesday here once a month and just take a day off from the inpatient gig. This works out to another 230k which brings me up to 718k a year

Good for you if this gig works out well. I suspect, however, there may be some baggage with it given how awesome it sounds, but good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
I can only base this on what I've been told by a couple docs practicing in CA, as well as what my very experienced medical biller reports to me. He has about 50 docs he works with (many solo) and will share data on average reimbursements. I don't know where you practice specifically, but in many parts of CA this appears to be the case - reimbursements appear to increase the further north you go in the state fwiw.

I'm certainly happy to share my experiences with the forum 6-9 months down the road once I'm out there on my own.

Please share that experience with us! I, for one, will be awaiting with bated breath and rapt attention! And if not for me then for the lurkers out there.

Fair enough. Looks like psychiatry can be the land of milk and honey everywhere, including SoCal. Kudos to you guys
I'd say it's the other way around, CA seems to have a really good job market for psych, whereas Florida or Washington, not so much, from the jobs I've seen.

Ya I live in SoCal and if it’s so easy to gross 700k as a psychiatrist here then why would any psychiatrist take a job with Kaiser? They pay well below 700k.
Those comments were made by residents..give them a year to get hit by reality and then talk to them again

• Haha
Almost all of us in medicine have the ability to make 500k+ if we are flexible with location and know how to use the system to our advantage.

Reactions: 3 users
Those comments were made by residents..give them a year to get hit by reality and then talk to them again
I mean yeah Im a resident but I also have made 250k in moonlighting similar jobs pgy4 so I think I have a decent take on the situation.

Thanks for looking that data up. They have 9M members in CA. So they are way off the minimum recommendation of 1 psychiatrist to 10k people and actually closer to 1 per 18k people.

They are clearly understaffed (perhaps by choice). I do often see kaiser ads looking for psychiatrists. Perhaps they aren't getting as many people running to work for them as it may appear to some.
Any time there is a major conference out there I get at least 2 or 3 emails from recruiters for Kaiser asking if I’d like to visit their booth. For APA I was getting no less than 2-3 emails per week the month before from Kaiser and I’m nowhere near Cali geographically.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion is that the California market pays relatively more for psychiatry because they have been relatively slower to approve independent NP practice. My prediction is that this will likely change in the coming years.

I’m not familiar with any data on independent practice NP affecting pay of any specialty. But my limited intuition is that Psych NPs like CRNAs raise the wages of their respective physician. No one right now is talking about the low wages in anesthesiology even though CRNAs (across the country)and AAs (to a lesser extent) have independent practice capacity. Anyone with any data or research on this?

I’m not familiar with any data on independent practice NP affecting pay of any specialty. But my limited intuition is that Psych NPs like CRNAs raise the wages of their respective physician. No one right now is talking about the low wages in anesthesiology even though CRNAs (across the country)and AAs (to a lesser extent) have independent practice capacity. Anyone with any data or research on this?

Even though medicine is not 100% supply and demand, but when companies/hospitals have a hard time recruiting, they tend to be more generous to an extent.

Let say we wake up in a world tomorrow in which NP/PA are not longer able to practice medicine, can you imagine how the market will be for us.

Show me any HMO/insurance network that meets "recommended" psychiatrist/pop (or therapist/pop) ratio while covering a large portion of the state...
Ya trust me I worked for Kaiser before. I agree it’s soul crushing. Yet I feel like they have no problems finding psychiatrists to sign with them. If it’s so easy to make 700k/yr, that wouldn’t be the case. So I disagree with the statement “it’s definitely not hard to gross 700k in SoCal.”
It definitely sounds like a worse gig in the two CA regions due to state law requiring them to force all psychiatrists to do X number of intakes per week regardless of panel size/follow-up access. Not sure if that's what you felt was specifically soul crushing about the gig.

Last edited:
I dont think these rates are typical for solo practices or else more people would accept insurance. I can tell you I was offered below medicare rates by the major insurances and even when we negotiated them up they weren't at this. group practices can get these rates or higher but then youre only getting 70% of that
So much of this. Obviously, things are different everywhere, but when I tried to renegotiate my reimbursements after two years of practice, I was quoted less than my state's Medicaid rates. When I pushed back, I was told that rates were based on tenure with the insurer and how many patients I was moving. I was given the chance to appeal, and they came up, I think $10 on the 99214 and $4 on the 90833.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
We could use some good financial and health econ training - there's a huge art to insurance contract negotiations (and fostering relationships with the companies that play nice while downplaying the snakes---a couple big boxes refuse to budge, but making more private arrangements with agreements to see employees of hospital systems has been a godsend), marketing, driving up your individual market value, attracting the right clientele that won't monopolize your time and drive down your earnings, etc. A lot of this is about building relationships too, connecting, growing leverage on these relationships over time (as in years to several or more years) and being interpersonally quite effective. As providers, if there are those willing to take crap deals, that is what they will continue to offer. But at the same time we have to make a living and take what is available --> therefore we must increase our .... swag if you will? Supply and demand is one part of the equation, but people will use PAs and NPs. The art of getting paid our worth, enhancing our market value and having that leverage...

Speaking of evolving a practice, it's been super exciting that one of our relationships with the hospital systems really blossomed. We are now listed as a major provider for residents, fellows, and attending physicians. Excellent patient population. Awesome insurance and a nice referral pipeline. Take that big box snakes. It's always so satisfying to see the other insurances start begging you to see their patients. Then you are REALLY in a good position to start negotiating.

Last edited:
So much of this. Obviously, things are different everywhere, but when I tried to renegotiate my reimbursements after two years of practice, I was quoted less than my state's Medicaid rates. When I pushed back, I was told that rates were based on tenure with the insurer and how many patients I was moving. I was given the chance to appeal, and they came up, I think $10 on the 99214 and $4 on the 90833.
Where was this?

We could use some good financial and health econ training - there's a huge art to insurance contract negotiations (and fostering relationships with the companies that play nice while downplaying the snakes---a couple big boxes refuse to budge, but making more private arrangements with agreements to see employees of hospital systems has been a godsend), marketing, driving up your individual market value, attracting the right clientele that won't monopolize your time and drive down your earnings, etc. A lot of this is about building relationships too, connecting, growing leverage on these relationships over time (as in years to several or more years) and being interpersonally quite effective. As providers, if there are those willing to take crap deals, that is what they will continue to offer. But at the same time we have to make a living and take what is available --> therefore we must increase our .... swag if you will? Supply and demand is one part of the equation, but people will use PAs and NPs. The art of getting paid our worth, enhancing our market value and having that leverage...

Speaking of evolving a practice, it's been super exciting that one of our relationships with the hospital systems really blossomed. We are now listed as a major provider for residents, fellows, and attending physicians. Excellent patient population. Awesome insurance and a nice referral pipeline. Take that big box snakes. It's always so satisfying to see the other insurances start begging you to see their patients. Then you are REALLY in a good position to start negotiating.
People keep talking about the art of insurance negototiations, but what does that actually mean? Like the above poster mentioned he was paid let’s say 110/99214, when he told them to screw off they went up to 115/99214. What else are you going to do to improve that rate? I’m genuinely curious because I feel like this is really important information I haven’t been able to figure out

Even though medicine is not 100% supply and demand, but when companies/hospitals have a hard time recruiting, they tend to be more generous to an extent.

Let say we wake up in a world tomorrow in which NP/PA are not longer able to practice medicine, can you imagine how the market will be for us.

Agreed, but like you said it is to an extent. And I think we’ve mostly reached it. Find me a place that’s not hiring a psychiatrist. The supply/demand is very favorable for psychiatrists and if we lost all mid levels independence I’m not sure the demand for psychiatrists would be noticeably higher than it is right now in most of the country.

Supply vs demand model works when comparing buyers vs sellers. Which in a totally free and large market it’s doable. However, healthcare in the US is far from a free market. There are a bajillion of constraints. There are very few true “buyers” who would be cash based and shopping for a good fit/price. Very few true “sellers” who would be cash based psychiatrists focusing on specific diseases/markets/etc.

The reality is the majority of us work for others and our salary is entirely dependent on how much we bill for our employers and how much our employers make off of us and then give back a portion to us. If we’re not adding to the employer’s bottom line then sooner or later our salary will be cut or the role itself will be cut. No one in their right mind would pay for a failing business unit. Regardless of the demand.

People keep talking about the art of insurance negototiations, but what does that actually mean? Like the above poster mentioned he was paid let’s say 110/99214, when he told them to screw off they went up to 115/99214. What else are you going to do to improve that rate? I’m genuinely curious because I feel like this is really important information I haven’t been able to figure out
It's a long long game. My strategy was to contract with as many insurances as possible. Negotiate them all as high as I can. Then...like a skilled hunter/battle commander, you wait.

Some insurances will play fair
-pay what they say they will
-pay timely
-not audit you to death
-maybe even send good referrals
-be respectful towards you
-not make convenient "mistakes" of claim payment errors, delays
-decent customer service

Some insurances will play dirty
-terrible customer services
-convenient claim processing "mistakes" that cost you tons of time in paperwork to correct
-audits, audits, audits (never had a claw back but it sure cost a lot of labor)
-pressure you to take their bad referrals

I used a lot of marketing so I can be selective and work more with patients who carry the better insurances. Then the snakes experience scarcity. The snakes only care about their bottom line. Having as many premium paying customers as possible. They'll lose customers if they have trouble finding available in network providers. Eventually they feel the fire grow on their butts and they will be more amenable to increasing rates. But don't get too hopeful. It's like being in a toxic relationship. It only gets better, when it suits them but they are eager to go back to their old ways. I've lost hope in some of the big boxes and use them more as space fillers if the clinic runs a dry spell. Hence, I built up stronger relationships with the really nice paying insurances that through their actions show they are truly interested in the wellbeing of their members. They include locally based insurances and those self funded by hospital systems. The latter really likes outside providers because there is less conflict of interest and we tend to be less saturated than the hospital systems. So overtime, our patient population has become more predominantly healthcare workers.

Reactions: 7 users
Agreed, but like you said it is to an extent. And I think we’ve mostly reached it. Find me a place that’s not hiring a psychiatrist. The supply/demand is very favorable for psychiatrists and if we lost all mid levels independence I’m not sure the demand for psychiatrists would be noticeably higher than it is right now in most of the country.

Supply vs demand model works when comparing buyers vs sellers. Which in a totally free and large market it’s doable. However, healthcare in the US is far from a free market. There are a bajillion of constraints. There are very few true “buyers” who would be cash based and shopping for a good fit/price. Very few true “sellers” who would be cash based psychiatrists focusing on specific diseases/markets/etc.

The reality is the majority of us work for others and our salary is entirely dependent on how much we bill for our employers and how much our employers make off of us and then give back a portion to us. If we’re not adding to the employer’s bottom line then sooner or later our salary will be cut or the role itself will be cut. No one in their right mind would pay for a failing business unit. Regardless of the demand.
There is a limit to the supply and demand graph, but sometimes companies don't pay you your 'fair' cut. .

A whole group of a hospitalists that I know got 50k raise a few months back. That hospital did that because they had a hard time recruiting. Now a couple of my friend who work there told me recruitment is getting better.

There is a limit to the supply and demand graph, but sometimes companies don't pay you your 'fair' cut. .

A whole group of a hospitalists that I know got 50k raise a few months back. That hospital did that because they had a hard time recruiting. Now a couple of my friend who work there told me recruitment is getting better.
Agreed. Regularly assessing your pay and shopping around for another job if you're employed is imo an imperative as employers will assume that you're content with your salary if you don't speak up. Should #1 rule for employed physicians. For independent physicians #1 rule is the negotiation game that @randomdoc1 is talking about up here ^. Although both of these tactics suck and require time, effort, and confrontation that few who sign up for medicine are willing to do.

It's a long long game. My strategy was to contract with as many insurances as possible. Negotiate them all as high as I can. Then...like a skilled hunter/battle commander, you wait.

Some insurances will play fair
-pay what they say they will
-pay timely
-not audit you to death
-maybe even send good referrals
-be respectful towards you
-not make convenient "mistakes" of claim payment errors, delays
-decent customer service

Some insurances will play dirty
-terrible customer services
-convenient claim processing "mistakes" that cost you tons of time in paperwork to correct
-audits, audits, audits (never had a claw back but it sure cost a lot of labor)
-pressure you to take their bad referrals

I used a lot of marketing so I can be selective and work more with patients who carry the better insurances. Then the snakes experience scarcity. The snakes only care about their bottom line. Having as many premium paying customers as possible. They'll lose customers if they have trouble finding available in network providers. Eventually they feel the fire grow on their butts and they will be more amenable to increasing rates. But don't get too hopeful. It's like being in a toxic relationship. It only gets better, when it suits them but they are eager to go back to their old ways. I've lost hope in some of the big boxes and use them more as space fillers if the clinic runs a dry spell. Hence, I built up stronger relationships with the really nice paying insurances that through their actions show they are truly interested in the wellbeing of their members. They include locally based insurances and those self funded by hospital systems. The latter really likes outside providers because there is less conflict of interest and we tend to be less saturated than the hospital systems. So overtime, our patient population has become more predominantly healthcare workers.
More of this content please!

• Care
How many people actually stay with Kaiser though?

From my experience there and what I've read/heard, turnover rate is pretty high for outpatient facing specialties. The patient inbox message responsibilities are no joke soul crushing. Their emphasis on patient satisfaction just adds insult to injury. And all that work is uncompensated.

From my experience there and what I've read/heard, turnover rate is pretty high for outpatient facing specialties. The patient inbox message responsibilities are no joke soul crushing. Their emphasis on patient satisfaction just adds insult to injury. And all that work is uncompensated.
People really need to just... Stop working for them. It's unfortunate what people do to themselves for no good reason

People really need to just... Stop working for them. It's unfortunate what people do to themselves for no good reason

Corporations take advantage of physicians because of the altruistic nature of the profession while the average individual thinks we are all in the pocket of Big Pharma.

I don't think the turnover is worse than any other employed position. If anything it's probably less than typical employed work. I can't speak to CA regions but the messaging stuff is somewhat compensated by having 2 hours of admin time per day. You're also not forced to endlessly accommodate patients--you can set limits/boundaries.

It is a medical group, not a typical corporation with non-physician executives and shareholders. All of the profit is going to physicians in the org.

Almost all of us in medicine have the ability to make 500k+ if we are flexible with location and know how to use the system to our advantage.
Gotta agree with this. So many specialities can put together normally two jobs that both flexible schedules and allow you an ability to see patients when works best for you which gives you volume but also autonomy which is the holy grail. Most can pull mid upper 6 figures with a set up like that without working 60+ hours.
IMO better to focus on efficiency which leads to volume while maximizing your billing practices and keeping your job lean and flexible

I don't think the turnover is worse than any other employed position. If anything it's probably less than typical employed work. I can't speak to CA regions but the messaging stuff is somewhat compensated by having 2 hours of admin time per day. You're also not forced to endlessly accommodate patients--you can set limits/boundaries.

It is a medical group, not a typical corporation with non-physician executives and shareholders. All of the profit is going to physicians in the org.

Employment just generally sucks haha.

Any time there is a major conference out there I get at least 2 or 3 emails from recruiters for Kaiser asking if I’d like to visit their booth. For APA I was getting no less than 2-3 emails per week the month before from Kaiser and I’m nowhere near Cali geographically.
Kaiser is desperate because the turn over rate is so high , they lose people quickly because of the horrid schedule and micromanagement.

This 100% accurate. You’re a slave to their system and have zero autonomy, it’s like being in high school and your principal has all the power over you , but not really, his secretary does.

I’ve heard Kaiser seems good the first 6-12 months while you’re building up your panel and workload is just less because you’re not full. Then it becomes challenging to maintain. Of course retention bonuses are large but require staying 4-7 years.

This 100% accurate. You’re a slave to their system and have zero autonomy, it’s like being in high school and your principal has all the power over you , but not really, his secretary does.
I was so confused because there's another calvinandhobbes on this forum who's a regular. I don't think this is an accurate take.
I’ve heard Kaiser seems good the first 6-12 months while you’re building up your panel and workload is just less because you’re not full. Then it becomes challenging to maintain. Of course retention bonuses are large but require staying 4-7 years.
At least in my region none of that is accurate. It's worst in the first 18 months (particularly months 3-9) because you're slammed with intakes but then it settles as you start to hit a steady state panel/get follow ups blocking slots and as the extra admin time kicks in. There's no 4-7 year retention bonuses. Everything else vests in the first 3 years.

I was so confused because there's another calvinandhobbes on this forum who's a regular. I don't think this is an accurate take.

At least in my region none of that is accurate. It's worst in the first 18 months (particularly months 3-9) because you're slammed with intakes but then it settles as you start to hit a steady state panel/get follow ups blocking slots and as the extra admin time kicks in. There's no 4-7 year retention bonuses. Everything else vests in the first 3 years.
You must work at a unicorn Kaiser location. **Extra** admin time? Follow-ups **blocking** slots? What usually happens at Kaiser for outpatient facing specialties is the panel continues to grow and grow and grow which obviously results in more and more patient inbox messages/demands.

You must work at a unicorn Kaiser location. **Extra** admin time? Follow-ups **blocking** slots? What usually happens at Kaiser for outpatient facing specialties is the panel continues to grow and grow and grow which obviously results in more and more patient inbox messages/demands.
Yeah as I said earlier in the thread, CA is unique because the state government mandated that their psychiatrists do X number of intakes per week. Repatriation is king in those regions because otherwise you drown in excessive panel size.

Haha yeah but I think I’m the original ;)
And I know many people who work for Kaiser and they all say it’s a hot mess of rigid scheduling, slave to the inbox, and no room for time off, etc. But you’re right this is very region dependent.

I'd say it's the other way around, CA seems to have a really good job market for psych, whereas Florida or Washington, not so much, from the jobs I've seen.
In regards to compensation, or job scarcity? Could you elaborate?

Yeah as I said earlier in the thread, CA is unique because the state government mandated that their psychiatrists do X number of intakes per week. Repatriation is king in those regions because otherwise you drown in excessive panel size.
That’s insane. Probably not a big deal for inpatient, but I can’t imagine anyone wanting to work outpatient in a state that has a legally requires intakes per week. Absolutely absurd.

That’s insane. Probably not a big deal for inpatient, but I can’t imagine anyone wanting to work outpatient in a state that has a legally requires intakes per week. Absolutely absurd.
I'm assuming this is just for kaiser employees

Flowrate said it's a state government mandate. I can't imagine a state government being able to place a legal mandate for a single company unless it's a punitive measure, but would be interested in clarification there.

I'm trying to find documentation to refresh my memory, I may be mixing up what CA actually requires (10 days maximum wait for psychiatry appointments) with how the CA regions have instantiated that requirement (required number of intakes per week.) I could have sworn that when I looked this up a couple of years ago it was actually a state regulation (it's a notably memorable thing to come across a state requiring intake slots...) but since then there was a newer MH bill so a lot of google hits point to that now. The regulation would have applied to all HMO's rather than just KP.

Many states have insurance adequacy requirements along similar lines (maximum days to new patient appointment) but generally don't mandate a specific number of intake appointments.

edit: It's also possible this was a state DOI requirement which would not be state law/regulation as much as a requirement from a state administrative body following network adequacy review.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find documentation to refresh my memory, I may be mixing up what CA actually requires (10 days maximum wait for psychiatry appointments) with how the CA regions have instantiated that requirement (required number of intakes per week.) I could have sworn that when I looked this up a couple of years ago it was actually a state regulation (it's a notably memorable thing to come across a state requiring intake slots...) but since then there was a newer MH bill so a lot of google hits point to that now. The regulation would have applied to all HMO's rather than just KP.

Many states have insurance adequacy requirements along similar lines (maximum days to new patient appointment) but generally don't mandate a specific number of intake appointments.

edit: It's also possible this was a state DOI requirement which would not be state law/regulation as much as a requirement from a state administrative body following network adequacy review.
California requires insurance companies provide access to psychiatry (or any specialist) within 15 business days. So this would affect Kaiser. If they can't do so they are supposed to cover out of network care. I've used this to my advantage as an OON doc.

California requires insurance companies provide access to psychiatry (or any specialist) within 15 business days. So this would affect Kaiser. If they can't do so they are supposed to cover out of network care. I've used this to my advantage as an OON doc.

I don't understand how this is enforceable. If insurance (or anyone) makes a good faith effort to secure an intake appointment but nothing is available that month despite contacting numerous clinics, then they're still punished? How do they justify punishing people for not providing resources that don't exist or aren't available in the volume necessary?

This is a huge advantage to psychiatrists and mid levels in the state as it uses the state to force the bigger party to come to terms with the smaller party. If I understand this correctly. This alone would be a big driver in psychiatrist wages as now a low-balling insurance can be rejected and with high enough wait times you can still get patients from that same insurer at much higher rates.

I don't understand how this is enforceable. If insurance (or anyone) makes a good faith effort to secure an intake appointment but nothing is available that month despite contacting numerous clinics, then they're still punished? How do they justify punishing people for not providing resources that don't exist or aren't available in the volume necessary?

Yeah I would definitely like some clarification for this cause it seems very wild to me and totally untenable but it’s also 2023 and CA so anything is possible.

• Haha
I mean, it's completely stupid. My state actually demands that we have new and f/u appointments available even sooner than CA does. I don't think any insurance network in any state would actually meet that criteria... There aren't enough psychiatrists in the country to meet these lofty goals universally.