What subspecialty do you think I'm doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is Yaah doing with his life?

• Dermpath - despite your rants - and you're going to take a high paycheck and go private

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Dermpath and into academics

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • General surg path and then into private practice

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Cytology, despite the fact that you hate it, because you want a job doing something you hate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heme as an academician, with or without a molecular fellowship

• Heme, but only to make yourself competitive, then you'll go private

• GI but you're going to sellout and go private

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • You're doing GI and going into academics, you valiant soul

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • You're doing GU and private, although you should have just done general surg path

• GU and academics, why not?

• You're doing something else in surg path like pulmonary or breast

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Neuropath, forensics, microbiology, chemistry, blood bank

• You're going to flunk out of residency because you're obnoxious and do locum tenens

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people think I am doing with my career. If you don't have any idea, post what you think I should do.

As background, I have basically considered every subspecialty at some point during my training except for cytopath. I am training at a fairly large, well respected academic center which has a history of putting people into both academics and community practice. And there is a fellowship in everything except neuropath, clinical chem, microbiology, and forensics. Technically there is no GYN fellowship, but I could probably do surg path and focus on it.

If anyone thinks this is egocentric, bite me. I am curious. Anyone else who wants to can also create a thread for themselves (with poll!).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sans glasses, I see you more as a general surgical pathologist.

If you now decided to ditch the contacts and go with glasses, full time, then I see you as a hematopathologist.

OK...three points I'd like to make:

1. Do what interests you the most.
2. You make your own prestige.
3. You are an egocentric bastard.

Anyways, I see you more as an academician rather than a private practice pathologist cuz you're a closet gunner/prestige ***** extraordinaire.

Hey bastardo! The option I would have voted for isn't even listed!

Sans glasses, I see you more as a general surgical pathologist.

If you now decided to ditch the contacts and go with glasses, full time, then I see you as a hematopathologist.

OK...three things to keep in mind yaah:

1. Do what interests you the most.
2. You make your own prestige.
3. Use the force.

I agree with 1-3 wholeheartedly. I have already decided and my fellowship is secure, and it is in what interests me the most.

However, I have not ditched the glasses. I wear contacts maybe a couple of days each month, depending on where I am.

I did like hemepath, that's also a good guess. The problem is that UM just hired two new hematopathologists, neither of whom wear glasses. :(

Hey bastardo! The option I would have voted for isn't even listed!

What would you have voted for? I thought I included everything except "Doing general surg path and going into academics" but that's not really a great option these days. You need to have your own expertise if you want academics.

I should say, I declined to include a research-based career because that is clearly not me, although I may or may not make research part of my career. And I also did not include "multiple fellowships" because that's silly unless you're indecisive, unsure about your own strenghts, or trying to combine them, in which case you're going to focus on one of them anyway. For example, if I was to do surg path + something else, the something else would be the focus and the correct answer in this poll.

I agree with 1-3 wholeheartedly. I have already decided and my fellowship is secure, and it is in what interests me the most.

However, I have not ditched the glasses. I wear contacts maybe a couple of days each month, depending on where I am.

I did like hemepath, that's also a good guess. The problem is that UM just hired two new hematopathologists, neither of whom wear glasses. :(

Damnit...you quoted me before I edited my post. But yes, I'm glad you agree with my points...especially point #3 :laugh:

You chose a fellowship already...that is so awesome. I'm so happy for you. May your fellowship allow you to follow your dreams, reach your goals, and much much more. BEEFCAKE! BEEFCAKE!

So, at the end of the day, are you going to reveal your fellowship decision? Or are you gonna be like me and never reveal a damn thing? (See, unlike you yaah, I'm not gonna post a long-winded poll because I'm not egocentric...residency beat that **** outta me so long ago :laugh: )

What would you have voted for? I thought I included everything except "Doing general surg path and going into academics" but that's not really a great option these days. You need to have your own expertise if you want academics.
I know that isn't a great option anymore...but I gotta vote for something! Fine, I'll ruminate and pick the next best choice.
I should say, I declined to include a research-based career because that is clearly not me, although I may or may not make research part of my career. And I also did not include "multiple fellowships" because that's silly unless you're indecisive, unsure about your own strenghts, or trying to combine them, in which case you're going to focus on one of them anyway. For example, if I was to do surg path + something else, the something else would be the focus and the correct answer in this poll.
Yeah, you shouldn't do research...you have no PhD and are clearly underqualified to pursue those noble endeavors :rolleyes: :laugh: ;)

You don't need to do multiple fellowships either cuz you're doing CP along with AP...

I'm not egocentric either. I am self-loathing, as I am a New England catholic boy and thus learned to hate myself early. I merely am curious as to what people think based on the persona I have on this website (which I guess is my actual persona). I consider myself very lucky to have the fellowship I do and am going to make the most of it. (sheds tear)

I like how people are saying, but not voting..
2 votes so far.

L to the T

OK, I've chosen. This may be a long shot but I do remember a long time ago (how I remember this, I have no clue) when me, you, and Harbster (where the **** has he been?) were playing pool at Blue Moon. You mentioned your fascination for phalluses and prostates and how you would have been a urologic surgeon if you didn't go into pathology.

GU PATHOLOGY IT IS! GU for teh win!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not egocentric either. I am self-loathing, as I am a New England catholic boy and thus learned to hate myself early.
What are you smoking? That's not what being a New England catholic boy is about at all...it's all about fearing the fiery pit of hell-ah!
I merely am curious as to what people think based on the persona I have on this website (which I guess is my actual persona). I consider myself very lucky to have the fellowship I do and am going to make the most of it. (sheds tear)
I think GU fits your persona quite well.

OK, I've chosen. This may be a long shot but I do remember a long time ago (how I remember this, I have no clue) when me, you, and Harbster (where the **** has he been?) were playing pool at Blue Moon. You mentioned your fascination for phalluses and prostates and how you would have been a urologic surgeon if you didn't go into pathology.

Like I said, I considered almost everything at some point in my career so far.

I wonder what happened to Harbster too.

I like how people are saying, but not voting..
2 votes so far.

L to the T

Dude, are you the joker who voted for the last option?

That's impossible! He's too busy making his own prestige for teh win!

Like I said, I considered almost everything at some point in my career so far.

I wonder what happened to Harbster too.

He's stuck in a dark room reading black and white films. Hey, I still got his number...I'll give him a call and ask him, "yaah's wondering where the heck you are!"

I'm not egocentric either. I am self-loathing, as I am a New England catholic boy and thus learned to hate myself early. I merely am curious as to what people think based on the persona I have on this website (which I guess is my actual persona). I consider myself very lucky to have the fellowship I do and am going to make the most of it. (sheds tear)

in a day or so after people have had a chance to vote will you share with us what fellowship you've lined up for yourself?

I think dermpath fits my persona quite well. I just bought a new pair of leather pants!

Fine, you're going into dermpath then. Can you close this lame, egocentric thread now? :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

You lucky lucky boy. Next time we meet, I'll buy you a sauerbraten and a cookie!

I love the "You're doing GU and private, although you should have just done general surg path" option. It's eerily similar to my own situation.

You are definitely the academic type (non research type. I am sure you love Dr Ramsburgh!!...He s a great guy too!)

I remember your previous posts waxing eloquently about Dr Appelman.

You say your fellowship is secured....I voted for choice 8.

...and then, across the crowded Marriott Baltimore Waterfront Hotel lobby, yaah and dermpathlover's eyes met...

I was actually gonna ask where the "I will be DPL's monkey-boy slave for a year and hope that he tells me ways to make mad bank" option. Alas, I settle for one of the derm options.

This was my vote too. I think it's what he's mentioned the most over the years.

This was my vote too. I think it's what he's mentioned the most over the years.

Now thinking back, I'm not so sure about GU...he says he "secured" it. Hmm...must be a somewhat high profile, competitive fellowship.

I don't remember GU there being one of the forefront specialties there. I know GI there is big with Appelman and Greenson. Dermpath fellowship didn't exist when I rotated. No Gyn fellowship there either. Hemepath is a possibility since that's pretty big there...probably even bigger and more badass with the new chair.

But putting yaah, phallus, and prostate in the same sentence is so poetic. Maybe GU it is?

1. I've noticed, that you're not really into the "making mad bank" group, and have a fairly inquisitive mind. So first elimination would be academic over private.
2. Essentially making same arguments, and adding a healthy dose of competitiveness: You don't seem to be in love with skin, so scratch that. Heme: Perhaps. GI, def. an option, Surg Path = the easy choice, but I think you'd prefer going straight for subspec if poss. End result, after flipping a coin: GU.

The GU fellowship is very good here, lots of material. The staff are fairly new, Rubin established the fellowship here before he left for Brigham. GU fellowships in general are weird, because some of them are combined with general surg path or, oddly at one institution, as a GU/breast fellowship.

I'm glad so many of you think I'm obnoxious. I guess since I find a lot of you folks obnoxious too, it evens out. ;) I figure it's the same people I think are obnoxious who are voting that.

If I had trained at an institution with less volume and less teaching, I would probably be more intent on doing a general surg path. That was my initial plan (plus add in subspecialty) until I talked to a bunch of people here.

I'm glad so many of you think I'm doing dermpath, or I should do it. The thing about dermpath is, that it is so hypercompetitive it is now annoying and turns me off. Any field that is that competitive I don't think I could ever deal with effectively. While I am a reasonably competitive person, I am not really into living the gunner life or whatever else you do. Like I said, I considered it pretty strongly because it is an interesting field. I wish people didn't make so much money in dermpath, because then fewer people would be interested in it and it would have more of a draw. Oh, I forgot, people don't go into dermpath because they love money. They LOVE SKIN.

I do like GI, but I haven't really done any projects in it. And the more I do of GI, while I do like it, I don't love it that much.

Heme, eh, it doesn't thrill me either. I have a strange aptitude for it and a couple of people tried to recruit me into it to some extent. But the people who make the decisions probably could care less, so that was pretty much irrelevant apart from getting a good recommendation.

My whole deal was academics vs private practice. Originally when I came to residency I was planning on academics. Then I found out some of the shady business, backstabbing, gunner mentality, favoritism, etc, that goes on in academics and I got soured on it. Plus I started one project that seemed to go on forever and that soured me a bit. But then I started liking it more and realized I had some preconceived notions that were a bit off. And the more I hear about private practice the less appealing it really becomes. I figure I can always jump ship when I have kids and they want to go to Bowdoin or Haverford like the snots I know they will turn out to be ;).

I'm glad so many of you think I'm obnoxious. I guess since I find a lot of you folks obnoxious too, it evens out. ;) I figure it's the same people I think are obnoxious who are voting that.

I voted Locum Tenens cause it seem more like the mercenary-pirate care-free, never say quit, never say die attitude you exude...

If you thought I was suggesting you were obnoxious... well
EXCUUUUUUUSE ME!
martin.jpg

You created a thread with an epic poll asking people what you are doing to do with your life?? Im confused.

Not that you would want my vote:p , I'm not sure what you're going to end up doing. But I'm sure that whatever it is, you'll be dam good at it!:thumbup:

GU fellowships in general are weird, because some of them are combined with general surg path

Hmmm, where might these be? I know Northwestern lists it's two surgical pathology fellowships as surg path/breast and surg path/GU, but I assumed that these were each dedicated to sub-spec.

. And the more I hear about private practice the less appealing it really becomes. I figure I can always jump ship when I have kids and they want to go to Bowdoin or Haverford like the snots I know they will turn out to be ;).

what about private practice is less appealing to you? remember, i am a medical student and i pretty much know nothing.

You created a thread with an epic poll asking people what you are doing to do with your life?? Im confused.

It's surrealist. It's not supposed to make sense.

As far as private practice, I'm not really against it, I am just more interested by academics and what other things you do. Money is not my main object. Academics gives you greater freedom to teach, do projects, specialize, etc. Private practice in some areas has these opportunities, so there is some overlap. I just don't want to start off my career being completely a slide jockey or an administrator. Maybe I'll end up there eventually, I dunno.

who cares what fellowship you do, you will still be a royal a-hole, phillips andover, piece de merde

hahahaha.

not really.

what about private practice is less appealing to you? remember, i am a medical student and i pretty much know nothing.

From what they tell us explicitly and implicity at my program is that community pathology is borin. Plus you don't have to do autopsies or gross in academics.

From what they tell us explicitly and implicity at my program is that community pathology is boring, community pathologists don't what the hell they are doing, and that all community physicians are stupid in general. Plus you don't have to do autopsies or gross in academics.

ha, yeah i have even gotten that feeling that some other types of docs think that. Is it perceived as boring mainly because of the lack of variety of/novel cases?

ha, yeah i have even gotten that feeling that some other types of docs think that. Is it perceived as boring mainly because of the lack of variety of/novel cases?

I edited my statement as it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but yes I think that is the main issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.