What the heck is that supposed to mean?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetPea07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! :)
well, I'm a lil' late in the pre med game. I'm 20 and I prob won't graduate for another 2 years or so because I've HAD to take time off to help my mom out... well anyway here the question:
I am Chilean. South American (please no 5th grade jokes. let's be serious adults here. i've had PROFESSORS give me crap so let's not do that.)
Anyway, I waas told that because I'm hispanic and tri-lingual (I am fluent in Spanish, English, and French) I'll be a shoo-in. Yea, sure I'll be. Anyway, then I heard that no because I'm not Mexican or Puerto Rican. So now, I'm confused. What the heck is URM? And why does it bleeding matter so much????
Thank you!:p

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, no one is a "shoo in" for acceptance into medical school. Ethnicity is not going to be the determining factor for you (or any other applicant). Check out this website: Support for Latino(a) Students There are resources within this group that can assist you along the way.

When you apply to medical school, your application is going to be considered within the context of its competitiveness compared to the entire pool of applicants to the schools that you have applied to. Your application is not going to be pulled out (because you are or are not Hispanic). In short, you want to make sure that everything in that application is as competitive as possible regardless of your ethnicity.

Non-minority applicants will always attempt to consider that you are less qualified or that you just got in because you are Latino (a). You can't allow their thinking or their insecurities to diminish the fact that if your academics are solid, your MCAT is competitive, your LORs and extracurriculars are outstanding, that you are being interviewed (and accepted) because you are going to be a good physician.

While you may find that your practice will include many people who may be of your ethnicity, you are likely going to have a practice that includes all types of people. Medical schools don't accept you because you fill a quota or because they want to push you toward something that you are not interested in performing. In short, you will either get in or not get in because of what you have put in your AMCAS in comparison to the rest of the applicant pool.

If you keep this in mind, keep your academics strong and get as informed as possible, you will have the career that you want. You just have to keep in mind that as long as there are more applicants than seats in medical schools, people will always offer their opinions as to your chances. Ignore them and maximize everything that you can.

If you keep this in mind, keep your academics strong and get as informed as possible, you will have the career that you want. You just have to keep in mind that as long as there are more applicants than seats in medical schools, people will always offer their opinions as to your chances. Ignore them and maximize everything that you can.

Yep, the key is to maximize every element of your application as you can - GPA, MCAT, EC's, and Letters of Recommendations. Just as importantly, showing your level of maturity is important. If you make it to med school, you'll probably notice the lack of maturity among many admitted students.

Also, the notion that med schools will "shoo-in" an applicant simply because they are a minority is flawed. good luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)