What The Heck Should I Do??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kartikji

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right i took the oat 2 times 290 AA, gpa science 3.8 overall 3.65.

I have worked at an optometrists office for 3 years, right now I own and operate my own liquor store make about 60k a year, what are my chances if i apply now???, and no i do not want to go to puerto rico

help

Members don't see this ad.

it's impossible to answer a post like this one. different schools look for different things from applicants. your oat is well under the accepted average, but your GPA is very solid. all i can suggest is for you to apply if it is what you truly want. no harm in that. good luck and keep us updated! :)

kartikji said:

I have worked at an optometrists office for 3 years, right now I own and operate my own liquor store make about 60k a year, what are my chances if i apply now???, and no i do not want to go to puerto rico

help

I would encourage you to not give up yet. Lots of schools look at other things besides the OAT. However, it is really important to do well on it. If you could even raise it 10 points I think that it would help. I know of a few people who got in with a 300, but they also had good extracurricular activities and good GPA. I don't know your whole situation, but schools also take into account personal situations. If you are an older returning student and haven't taken your pre-reqs in a while, schools usually take that into account. I'm sure that all of the optometry schools would be glad to see that you've had 3 years of experience. I would recommend for you to highlight your strengths. I would call (or check into) the schools that you are interested in and see what OAT score they would like for you to have and how many times they want you to take it. I personally never took the Kaplan course, but I did use the book, and I found it very helpful for the OAT. Maybe just try to study for it a bit harder. I actually had a 290 the first time that I took it, but was able to raise it up to a 350 the 2nd time. I know that this probably isn't normal, but it can be done. It just takes some work. Good luck!

kartikji said:

help

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u guys for all of your info, i will reapply and retake the oat in march and will see what happens

With your GPA and experience I would think you could get in with a 290. Make sure your essay is good. Have someone with an english degree review it. You can over come a 290, it is not that bad. As was said earlier, point out your strengths. Don't try to explain your score in your essay, they can see the numbers in the rest of your application. Your essay is the place to show them things beyond those numbers.

Good luck.