What the hell is wrong with me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osprey099

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pissed off right now because I don't think I did too well on my midterm today for what is supposed to be an "easy" class. My problem is that I keep doing bad in my "easy" classes where all my friends and the majority of the class get As. I usually end up getting B's or B+'s in these classes. I've gotten an A in all of my prereqs so far (chem+lab, physics+lab, orgo) with the exception of orgo lab but I keep getting B's or B+'s in my electives. I do take these classes seriously and I put in a lot of effort (not as much as I put in for my premed reqs) but I just don't score well on the tests.

Does anyone else suffer from this? and if you do, how do you deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

I had this problem. Honestly the best thing to do is not to worry about it. Just improve your study habits. Definitely go to the professors office. Study with earplugs. Read the notes, book, and in between the lines. Read it before lecture and after. Just don't give up. I know the feeling and sometimes its rough, but regardless, good luck OP!:)

Perhaps treat them the same way you treat your prereq classes as opposed to viewing them as "easy" classes that merit slightly less of your attention?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe since you think the class is "easy" you are underestimating it, thus not studying for it the same way as you would for a class that you view as "hard".

I always made a point to at least try to get invested in the liberal arts courses I had to take, even if I didn't care for the subject matter. It also helps to relate what you've learned to your science courses whenever possible. Maybe something you learned in A&P will help you remember something about Greek/ Renaissance sculptures Art History 101.

To quote Futurama: "Nobody enjoys shooting penguins. But if you have to shoot penguins, well, you might as well enjoy it."

Feminist Anthropology comes to mind here. I was 1 of 4 guys in a class of 40. So for a semester, I had to be all "men are pigs" to get an "A". Orgo was much easier to get an "A" in than that course :laugh:

Humanities can be tough because your fate primarily lies in the hands of your professor (because science classes are mainly test-your-knowledge on the matter kinds of classes). Best thing to do is to always go and see the professor and ask what it is you did wrong (in their eyes) and learn on what you need to do (and how should do it) to improve in the future.

Sometimes this happens to be because the classes aren't curved so you can't get a A for getting a 60 on a en exam. Another reason is that pre req classes actually require thinking, where as some 'easy' classes are just memorizing and sputing it back out

Aww well I'm sure you will do fine on the next test :)

A problem I've run into is that though these are elective classes for you, they are major classes for other students and the professors tend to give better grades out to those students in the major.

Ask your friends what they're doing right, not SDN what you're doing wrong.