What the public image of a dentist REALLY is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuke68

cuke68
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm currently a dental student, like many of you, and while going through rotations ive noticed that i've encountered different views of my profession from patients, and even some friends. some include a guarantee "goldmine" profession making big $$, fake-wannabe doctor, and many many more! wat opinions have you guys encountered? wat are your views?

Members don't see this ad.

I always hear the "why would u wanna look at someones teeth all day." Recently I have also heard "I hear they make good money, dont dentists make 50k right out of school?"

Members don't see this ad :)
...besides i used to always get the "teeth cleaner" and "why does a dental student need to learn about anatomy and physiology"; ...... not to forget the awkward.." there are too many dentists these days..i keep getting coupons by mail almost everyday"!!

simpledoc said:
...besides i used to always get the "teeth cleaner" and "why does a dental student need to learn about anatomy and physiology"; ...... not to forget the awkward.." there are too many dentists these days..i keep getting coupons by mail almost everyday"!!
The worst I got "Tongue cleaners"...

cuke68 said:
so i'm currently a dental student, like many of you, and while going through rotations ive noticed that i've encountered different views of my profession from patients, and even some friends. some include a guarantee "goldmine" profession making big $$, fake-wannabe doctor, and many many more! wat opinions have you guys encountered? wat are your views?

I got "which MEDICAL school ? " from many friends, patients and my nurse-practitioner. :D :D :D

Whenever I get "why would you want to be a dentist and look in mouths all day" I just reply.. "I can think of a lot worse areas i'd be looking if I were an MD". They smile and agree.

Sprgrover said:
Pretty much the same things: from suicidal teeth monkey to solid and secure.

Ditto.

stoshic said:
Whenever I get "why would you want to be a dentist and look in mouths all day"

Comparing it to an MD doesn't even do it for me. My response is more like "because I don't want to dish out school lunches to kids, change your motor oil, or do the clean-up on aisle 4 all day".

"Your major [undergrad] is biology? But aren't you going into dentistry????" As if the two have absolutely nothing to do w/ each other..... :rolleyes:

My grandfather said this: "Why do you want to clean people's teeth for a living?"

My response: :mad: :mad: :mad: "I wont be going near yours"

xc1999 said:
"Your major [undergrad] is biology? But aren't you going into dentistry????" As if the two have absolutely nothing to do w/ each other..... :rolleyes:
I hear that quite a lot actually...
"your doing biology?".....Dentistry has nothing to do with the body, you just learn about teeth

dentist_to_be? said:
My grandfather said this: "Why do you want to clean people's teeth for a living?"

My response: :mad: :mad: :mad: "I wont be going near yours"
I like it..... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
dinesh said:
I hear that quite a lot actually...
"your doing biology?".....Dentistry has nothing to do with the body, you just learn about teeth
Exactly....I do not understand what's wrong with people.....Its like we spend 5 years on dentistry......and yet know something about medicine..ENT......whereas med guys know nothing about dentistry.....

meetlife said:
Exactly....I do not understand what's wrong with people.....Its like we spend 5 years on dentistry......and yet know something about medicine..ENT......whereas med guys know nothing about dentistry.....

all negative stuff? anything positive?

meetlife said:

It simply amounts to ignorance on their part.
I find it pretty hilariuos when collegues tell me "I am applying for dentistry, its going to be so easy, you only need to know about teeth and how to fix them"

Some people are surly in for a wake up call
I guess anatomy, physiology, psyhcology, microbiology etc has NOTHING to do with the body. Meanwhile, in my country 2 of the 6 year dental couse is devoted to that,and is taught in colaboration WITH the medical degree.
Geez.

Back in high school and begining in college, I used to think that dentists were looked down upon by society (like lawyers), not "real" doctors, etc...But it turns out that it was just all though insecure pre-meds, docs, and advisors who thought this way...

Now, most of the people that i know (friends, relatives, other adults) regard dentists highly and they said that they have never heard of anyone else looking down upon them...

cuke68 said:
all negative stuff? anything positive?

I think that a large part of it comes from the medical community, which regards dentistry as a kind of red-headed stepchild.

However, it is amazing to see how their tune changes when one of their teeth is causinging them pain....

Hmmm...I heard a lot of the negative stuff before thinking about dentistry. Now that Ive been accepted and begin the education in 2 months...everyone says, "WOW...thats awesome, congratulations" "Wow...your gonna be rich" "WOW you should start playing golf and looking at yachts" :laugh:

Within most of the Asian community, there isn't much of a difference between MD or DDS, so there you go.

When I was getting ready to take the MCAT and my wife was learning about residencies and the long hours of being a physician, she was like: "I thought you married me because you wanted to spend MORE time with me?"

Needless to say when I switched to dentistry she was happy that she wouldn't be an MD widow. she is definately a fan of dentistry so I'll be home more.

Several times after telling people I just got into dental school they say something like, "That's great. It looks like there is a real demand for dentistry now days, because I keep seeing those TV commercials." They think that dentistry is an 18 month tech school program. :rolleyes:

msf41 said:
When I was getting ready to take the MCAT and my wife was learning about residencies and the long hours of being a physician, she was like: "I thought you married me because you wanted to spend MORE time with me?"

Needless to say when I switched to dentistry she was happy that she wouldn't be an MD widow. she is definately a fan of dentistry so I'll be home more.

Several times after telling people I just got into dental school they say something like, "That's great. It looks like there is a real demand for dentistry now days, because I keep seeing those TV commercials." They think that dentistry is an 18 month tech school program. :rolleyes:

Educating the masses is an uphill battle. They get most of their perceptions and information from watching the idiot box, and unfortunately Michael Crichton hasn't developed any primetime dental dramas like ER :laugh:

jk5177 said:
Within most of the Asian community, there isn't much of a difference between MD or DDS, so there you go.
There also isn't much of a difference between beef steak and canine steak, so there you go.

The Godfather said:
............unfortunately Michael Crichton hasn't developed any primetime dental dramas like ER........... :laugh:

?But he is MD and not DDS??? May be Gordon Christiansen should diversify and write Dental ER...that would be lots of fun :D ???

rahmed

I do hope that your comment wasn't one with racist connotations involved. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time --

tx oms said:
There also isn't much of a difference between beef steak and canine steak, so there you go.

babobabo said:
I do hope that your comment wasn't one with racist connotations involved. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time --
Incredible.

jk5177 said:

That's kind of true. All I see is green!

Jaws said:
I think that a large part of it comes from the medical community, which regards dentistry as a kind of red-headed stepchild.

However, it is amazing to see how their tune changes when one of their teeth is causinging them pain....

This is true. Many people go out of their way to marginalize the importance of dentistry, but it simply cannot be done. Dr. Satcher, the Surgeon General, went through great lengths to bring to light the epidemic of oral decay in this country. If there was no need for dentistry, all the dental schools would have closed years ago. Derogatory comments like those are simply uninformed opinions based on hearsay and ignorance I am afraid. Take care.

tx oms said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

there's nothing wrong about eating a dog :)

jk5177 said:

This is precisely the reason why I have such respect for Asian Americans. The Rev. Floyd Flake came to Paul Quinn College last semester and blessed the school with a rousing sermon where he highlighted the fact that Asian American families had come to America and have more per capita income than the average African American family. Obviously, we can juxtapose the social and economic factors underlining this issue repeatedly. However, this comparison was made to elucidate the fact that if Asians can come to America and succeed so could African Americans. While I normally don't like the idea of comparing one group to another, it shows what determination can accomplish. No, not all Asians are scientists, and not all blacks can dunk a basketball, but you can succeed if you really want to.

The good pastor went on to explain how he and others had washed dishes while in college because there was no financial aid, and they wanted an education. Having washed dishes at Piccadilly Cafeteria in New Orleans, I could identify with that immensely and have such an appreciation for the sacrifices made by myself and others before me that helped get me to this point.

The fact that the Asian community, by in large, is wise enough not to entertain the petty game of MD/DDS measuring stick does not surprise me at all. No wonder their academic stats are so competitive, and their cars run so well and retain value. The vast majority of Asian students I have come across have no doubt in their minds that they can do anything they wish and don't let much stand in their way. Asians get their share of racial injustice as well, arguably not as much as AA, but they do get their share and yet still seem to move ahead. Take care. GOD Bless.

grant555 said:
This is precisely the reason why I have such respect for Asian Americans. The Rev. Floyd Flake came to Paul Quinn College last semester and blessed the school with a rousing sermon where he highlighted the fact that Asian American families had come to America and have more per capita income than the average African American family. Obviously, we can juxtapose the social and economic factors underlining this issue repeatedly. However, this comparison was made to elucidate the fact that if Asians can come to America and succeed so could African Americans. While I normally don't like the idea of comparing one group to another, it shows what determination can accomplish. No, not all Asians are scientists, and not all blacks can dunk a basketball, but you can succeed if you really want to.

The good pastor went on to explain how he and others had washed dishes while in college because there was no financial aid, and they wanted an education. Having washed dishes at Picadilly Cafeteria in New Orleans, I could identify with that immensely and have such an appreciation for the sacrifices made by myself and others before me that helped get me to this point.

The fact that the Asian community, by in large, is wise enough not to enertain the petty game of MD/DDS measuring stick does not surprise me at all. No wonder their academic stats are so competitive, and their cars run so well and retain value. The vast majority of Asian students I have come across have no doubt in their minds that they can do anything they wish and don't let much stand in their way. Asians get their share of racial injustice as well, arguably not as much as AA, but they do get their share and yet still seem to move ahead. Take care. GOD Bless.

Most of the Asians I know also have very stable families that are very supportive. This has a huge effect on your attitudes and drive. :thumbup:

yeah, that's pretty common among Asians. I am an Asian but my family is not that wealthy compared to other Asians I know. We live just like middle-class citizens. When I told my parents the estimated amount of spending I need for my dental eduction (around 200K), they told me not to worry too much about it, just focus on getting good grades in school. They have their ways of covering my spending. So, I feel kinda blessed as an Asian child. :)

last couple of days i have been shadowing a Pedo group in atlanta, and i been asking every kid that comes through, do you like coming here .. and the obivous response is "NO" ;)

my favoriite, "seeing you in your uniform (or scrub suit) is quite very respectable."..,,yup, can't argue with the value of education especially if its a doctorate degree. :)

true true, i agree about the respect....and in fact ive been told that dentists are equally as respectible as other physicians....

I got this from my godfather:

"are you kidding me? what you want to give up the chance for wealth and settle on chumpy 6 figured income?? Look at your uncle, he's a dentist, he can't even get a jet, he settled for a cessna!" :/

guess it's all relative....