What to bring for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justoneplease

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at forums but couldn't find one about what to bring to interviews. Does anyone know if we should bring like a folder with paper and pen or nothing at all or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the link but I meant more in terms of the actual interview rather than what to bring with you during the stay. I was hoping to get a better insight as to what people normally bring into the actual interview during interview day ie bring a notepad/notebook/folder etc with paper and pen or like something else.

good question, I haven't put much though into this yet - hopefully someone responds with good feedback

I brought a notebook and pen with some questions to ask/really specific info about the school. Some people will bring the huge leather folders with a paper pad inside to take notes/write down answers to questions, etc. Bring your own pen and folder in case, but just keep in mind, some schools do provide you with a folder of their interview day stuff.

Just about every school will provide you with an interview packet - this usually includes an itinerary, a map, random information, and some blank space to take notes. Usually the school will give you a pen, but it wouldn't hurt to bring your own.

Aside from that, you should really only need things that you'll need over the course of the day. Some people bring tennis shoes for tours, or extra pantyhose (women, generally). It's not a bad idea to bring a book if the school is notorious for having large breaks between interviews, and you should always bring a few dollars in case you run in to cash-only coffee shops, or you need to take the bus.

Probably won't need it but could bring an updated CV or resume, if only for you to glance at before you go in so you don't forget anything you want to talk about. Also try preparing answers to some stock questions ahead of time so you can go in knowing what you want to say. Could always write down the highlights and bring them in so you can review beforehand as well.

Also you probably already know this but if you are going to bring a folder make sure it is a nice-ish one (ie not paper or a manila envelop). Goal is to look professional.

Bring your AMCAS app, and secondary essay to review during down time. Also, if you want, you can bring a pen and notebook. Don't bring an impressive leather-bound portfolio, unless you want people to know you're that guy from SDN.

Bring your AMCAS app, and secondary essay to review during down time. Also, if you want, you can bring a pen and notebook. Don't bring an impressive leather-bound portfolio, unless you want people to know you're that guy from SDN.

He's right. Dawson's Creek trapper keeper for me.

You really don't need anything. I brought copies of my CV to interviews, and they weren't needed. What you hold in no way influences your interview, short of "oh hey your trapper keeper has my alma mater's logo on it"

You really don't need to take notes. Really, please don't. During interview lunches there's always one person frantically scribing things about financial aid. It's all documented already, and you shouldn't worry about that until you have a few acceptances lined up (and even then I'd claim you shouldn't worry about it).

This.

You want to review your essays, especially your secondaries.

And bring paper and a pen, but you don't need anything else.

ummm, ensure that you bring yourself to the interview...

methinks it'd be futile if they were to interview an empty seat...

What I have in my interview "bag" (something like this: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/389248/Samsonite-Underarm-Portfolio-Black/) (also, i'm female): passport/voter registration card/driver's license (yes, school's i've attended actually required all three for state residency stuff, check instructions before leaving), extra pair of pantyhose AND clear nail polish (actually used this once-horrible run!), snack bar, pen, paper, and bleach pen (very handy for that lunch stain). Also, for women, consider putting in a feminine product if it's nearish that time of the month (stress can screw up predictable cycles- and talk about an embarrassing moment!)

Anyone bring artwork? Poetry? Copies of published research?

Anyone bring artwork? Poetry? Copies of published research?

I bring nothing, and get the folder from the school. That has everything you will need, short of an ID card to get into the interview day. And Cash. I wish it had cash.