What to bring to interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dat312

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound obvious but I have a few interviews coming up and I was wondering what to bring to my interviews? I will have a small bag to hold my phone and a small notepad or folder but do I need to bring copies of my accomplishments or resume?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bring pen and a notepad for notes. I didn't bring my phone (left it in the car) and instead wore a watch as to not distract me. From my experience there was no reason to bring any of my statements and professional experiences. Some people brought professional looking binders and if you happen to have one that might be good to hold a notebook/notepad.

If I get an interview....

I'm bringing any requested items

Plus

My phone, money, chewing gum, and rabbit feet.... Oh and can't forget some jimmies....

Members don't see this ad :)
^do you always write in quasi-haikus?

Reactions: 13 users
Nope, you don't need any copies of anything unless they specifically ask, but from what I remember from interviews, I didn't need to bring anything. You can bring a pen actually. I recall needing one during my first interview and not having it. Often, you'll be provided with a pen, but bring one in case. I brought a folder with paper to write in just in case, but they usually give you a folder of some type and you can take notes on whatever is in there. Bring your phone but turn it off or put it on silent. You'll have free time or off times to use it, and no, they won't care if you use it then (like if you're waiting around for an interview or during lunch or whatever).

^do you always write in quasi-haikus?

Interesting,

“Quasi Haiku” or “Pun-ku” (sample)
The haiku genre and very short Japanese-style poems have influenced writers to write “quasi haiku” – haiku-like poems but without seasonal references or cutting words. “Pun-ku” are humorous, haiku-like poems which utilize wordplay and puns.

Reference: https://andrewsmcbride.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/quasi-haiku-or-pun-ku-sample/

I never heard of such thing.... Kinda odd style for a poem though!

-Sleek pen
-Not your phone
-Watch
-Good nights sleep
-Confidence

If you're a girl, an extra pair of shoes! Trust me on this one!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you be more specific? I have very comfortable dress shoes but are you talking about a pair of sneakers for walking around campus or what? The dress shoes I have I can walk all day in and be fine. The have more of an athletic shoe insole. http://www.munroshoes.com/products/CINDI/M207487
No, not sneakers. Something that is professional but comfortable. Those shoes you posted are perfect if they are comfortable for you! If you wore them before, and know they don't give you blisters, then you're fine!

The dress shoes I have I can walk all day in and be fine.
Unfortunately, I couldn't say that about my (brand new) dress shoes on my interview day, and wanted to kill myself on the way back to my apartment.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interviewing at UF, bring lube.

But in all seriousness, all you need is anything they ask of you, then something to write with like a padfolio (very professional and appropriate for these kinds of interviews) and a pen.