What to do about an Incomplete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a very a big fat Incomplete for a grade... in a haz mat awareness class that I had to take to keep my EMS certification. I have a very good reason for having an Incomplete-- the class was taught over 2 nights, I went to the first night, and was working at another EMS station the second night. Stupid, stupid haz mat class.

So should I include this excuse in my personal statement? I don't really want to b/c a) it doesn't fit with the rest of my essay, and b) it's a freakin' haz mat class. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Topic: What to do about an Incomplete?
Sweet Tea

Member # 13931

posted June 03, 2002 08:50 AM

Okay, so I have a very a big fat Incomplete for a grade.

hmmm... this is what happens when I start typing before my coffee has fully kicked in. :D

Is there no way for you to make it up?
At my university, if you have an Incomplete you either have to make it up (whereupon the grade gets changed to whatever you deserve) or if you don't make it up within a semester, it changes to an F. Is this not the case for you?
If you can't make it up, I'd say you pretty much HAVE to mention it somewhere in the application to explain. I know that doesn't help much.

Thanks PeasonToast, and welcome to SDN!

Actually, the course was taught through a community college and you can't fail-- you either re-certify or you don't re-certify. You don't get a grade in the class-- it's like getting CPR certification. It's only offered once a year by the CC to folks who need to re-certify in Haz Mat keep their EMT license up, and only over 2 nights. I was able to make up the hours through my EMS squad to keep my certification, but that doesn't show up on my transcript from the CC. This all happened last year, and I've since re-certified through the CC.

It's all very silly-- the 2 night haz mat awareness class basically boils down to "if you don't know what it is and where it came from, don't touch it, taste it, smell it, snort it, inject it, or otherwise injest or go near the substance".

Argh.