what to do before matriculate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDCABrian

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I would like to ask DO students what's you guys'advice on what to do before starting medical schools. I will start at Western U. next year and right now I am just working. Should I take anatomy at a local college since that is the most difficult course especial at Western U. ? What about reviewing science material...is it worth it? Or would I be better off enjoying life before school start?
I'd appreciate any suggestion.

Brian
COMP 2004.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless it is an upper level course or a graduate course, I would not bother taking anything ahead of time.

I took A&P I and II as an undergrad and we probably cover all that material in about 10 lectures in med school (it took 2 semesters as an undergrad...).

If your local college offers Anatomy with a cadaver lab, then it may be worth your time, otherwise, you would profit more by snuggling up with your very own Netter and start to memorize every single name you see on it, because that is the way it is going to be once your classes get going...If your med school offers a summer anatomy course, however, by all means, take it!

From my own experience and from talking to many of my classmates, I would only recommend taking a class or two before starting med school if your science background is very very weak. We have a couple of people like that in class, who were accepted based on their performance on the pre-med recs, but who really hadn't taken any other sciences courses prior to med school and they all did/are having problems keeping up. That would be the only kind of person, I think, would benefit from taking a few extra science classes before actually starting med school.

Just reviewing scientific materials at random is a waste of time. If you really feel like a gunner, get a board review book on your favorite subject and start reading :)

Nothing wrong with just enjoying yourself, though! Soon enough you will be studying to the point of feeling like your brain is shot, so why burn out before it is time?!

hey,
don't sweat it. take a vacation and treat yourself right... you just got into med school!!! you've been busting your hump to get this far it's time for some r&r.

taking a class or two might help a little, but not taking a break will hurt you a bunch. you will never have another 2-3 month summer in your life. enjoy it to the fullest. i know i did and it was the time of my life.

anywho, that's my 2 cents.

- ponch

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Western U offers anatomy during the summer... I think there's a six-week course and a three-week course. I've talked to a few students and they recommend taking it. I may be wrong. Any COMP students out there?

Don't spend you last several months of free time studying enjoy it instead. If you like the clnical aspect of medicine spend time shadowing some docs that you really like and get involved as you can in the actually patient care and the problem solving involved in patient care. If you really feel the need to study borrow or buy a book on physical assesment and work out a program with the doc you are working with to study a certain aspect of the physical exam in the evenings and then come in during the next day and discuss it with the doc and then practice it when appropriate in the office.

Mostly just enjoy yourself. If you are clinically oriented then spending time with patients can be a very rewarding experience.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Enjoy life and don't worry. You'll be so pumped and motivated when you first start that you should be able to handle anything they throw at you. Sure it will be tough and seem overwhelming at times, but you'll get used to it before you know it.

Peace,

G.

Relax, enjoy and do some pleasure reading...cause you'll have a heck of time doing any once you get started! Very few Ugrad level courses will be rigorous enough to really simulate the depth of med school. Take our advice and just bathe in the glory that you are in and enjoy your last few weeks of having nothing but time to kill.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

I don't know about Western's program but at some schools, you can place out of some courses. I STRONGLY recommend this if possible. If you study well, you could take a waiver exam and place out of histology, biochemistry, genetics, neuroanatomy, epidemiology, etc. You would be at a tremendous advantage to do so!

Hey Brian,

Welcome to WesternU/COMP!!!

I am currently at WesternU & I didn't take any prep for the anatomy course. Yes, they offer the ISAC program & three week anaotmy prep, but if you are a hard worker you will do fine without it. It does help though, but not tremendously

Yes, the anatomy course at WesternU is tough, but wait till you take on the other 8 basic scuence courses as well(i.e Biochem?) Talk to some of the 1st years(2003) if you know any & they will tell you!

I would recommend you just relax now & enjoy as much of your free time before the "med school roller coaster commences"
smile.gif

Good Luck & Congrats!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Thank you everyone so much for taking time answering my questioin. I really appreciate all the suggestions and will keep them in mind. I think I will review some of the science courses, but save the summer for fun.
Again, thanks for your replies.
Brian
Western U 2004