What to do between MS-1 and MS-2?

6ft3dr2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
nj
    It's summer time and I just finished my first yr of med school. Right now, Im participating in research. Now that I have a lot of free time, I'm thinking of picking up a book. Its just to review some lectures from the first yr.

What exactly did people do after their first yr?

research?
    study? if so how long and what?

Thanks,

excalibur

15+ Year Member
    Oct 15, 2005
    1. Attending Physician
      6ft3dr2b said:
      It's summer time and I just finished my first yr of med school. Right now, Im participating in research. Now that I have a lot of free time, I'm thinking of picking up a book. Its just to review some lectures from the first yr.

research?

Thanks,

This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. Do a search, and you'll see that I agree with the overwhelming majority...

DO NOTHING RELATED TO MEDICINE for it is the last free summer you are going to have ever! Use the 2-3 months to do things outside of the medicine realm, b/c as searly as MSIII year, you may be thinking, "Man, I wish I had like 3 months with just nothing to do, and I could do whatever I want".

You will be thinking medicine practically every single day for a long, long, paingul, agonizingly long and draining time. You are making a mistake by picking up a book to review first year. First year is uselsss. You'd be surprised how low yield first year is for clinicals. Clinicals is all path, pharm, micro, and clinical diagnosis...all of which are mainly taken in 2nd year. Please for the love of all that is holy in this world, and for all us saps, who have crossed the point of no return...ENJOY YOUR VACATION LIKE A PARTY ANIMAL!!

ADDchild

10+ Year Member
      Jun 13, 2006
      1. Medical Student
        excalibur said:
        This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. Do a search, and you'll see that I agree with the overwhelming majority...

DO NOTHING RELATED TO MEDICINE for it is the last free summer you are going to have ever! Use the 2-3 months to do things outside of the medicine realm, b/c as searly as MSIII year, you may be thinking, "Man, I wish I had like 3 months with just nothing to do, and I could do whatever I want".

You will be thinking medicine practically every single day for a long, long, paingul, agonizingly long and draining time. You are making a mistake by picking up a book to review first year. First year is uselsss. You'd be surprised how low yield first year is for clinicals. Clinicals is all path, pharm, micro, and clinical diagnosis...all of which are mainly taken in 2nd year. Please for the love of all that is holy in this world, and for all us saps, who have crossed the point of no return...ENJOY YOUR VACATION LIKE A PARTY ANIMAL!!

I second that, the part about doing nothing.

About the Ads
        6ft3dr2b said:

research?

Thanks,

Hey there,
        Don't bother reviewing lectures from first year. They are pretty low yield. Do your research and enjoy yourself. As stated in other threads on here, enjoy this summer because it is the last that you really can get away and enjoy yourself. Next summer you will be using part of the summer to study for boards and the rest to get ready for third year.

njbmd :)

VincentAdultman

15+ Year Member
      • Jun 18, 2005
        New York
        1. Attending Physician
          6ft3dr2b said:

research?

Thanks,

Aty the VERY most, try doing some research in whatever field you're thinking of, since you don't get a whole lot of opps after this.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.