what to do between phd and med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfingphd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've posted here before, but I'll sum up my experience as follows:

I am a current PhD student in bioengineering (specifically bio-nanotechnology) and I will be finishing up by the end of the summer. When I started my PhD, I was planning to go into the business side of science, either by starting a company or being involved in some other part of the entrepreneurship process. For example, for many years, I was planning to get a JD or JD/MBA after my PhD and go from there. However, during my PhD, I realized that I had a passion for medicine even though I still had somewhat of an entrepreneurial spirit.

So, here I am, about to finish my PhD with the idea of starting med school in Fall 2010.

I can think of 2 things to do between my PhD and med school:

(1) Work in a lab of a medical school faculty member doing research.
Pros: Help me get into medical school (perhaps at the one where I do research), more publications, good LOR, more opportunities for shadowing
Cons: I would not mind a break from research, low pay, no exposure to the real world and to what else is out there, still in academia

(2) Healthcare/biotech consulting
Pros: good money, exposure to the business side of medicine (which could be beneficial), satisfy my interet in business (and see if it is really more than just an interest), be able to save up money for med school (probably close to 80-100K) if I live like a student
Cons: may not help as much with getting in medical school, probably less friendly to medical school application process

With regards to consulting, I am specifically looking at a firm for which my friend recruits. The firm is known for more reasonable hours (she frequently works 8/9 - 6, unless she has deadlines) and she only travels about once every 3 weeks. I would probably make less than I would at a larger firm, but working here would allow me more time for my med school apps as well as clinical experience. etc.

Any other ideas would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am working on getting clinical experience right now. I am shadowinig an MD that works in my lab. In addition, I am trying to get into a program at my school that allows students to volunteer in the Emergency Medicine department, while also doing some clinical research. It provides great shadowing time while also allowing students direct patient contact. I'm looking into some similar programs as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'm not getting many responses, so let me clarify: If you were in my shoes, which option would you pursue, 1 or 2? Or would you do something else?

i would choose (2).

reasoning:
1. EC lists look better the more diverse they are. i'm assuming you have enough research experience as a PhD student. and consulting work will make you stand out more than say biomedical research.
2. as you say, it affords you more time for clinical experience which is the most important EC adcoms are looking for. also gives you time to work on the MCAT if you already haven't taken it.
3. more money, 'nuff said.

edit: and probably the most important reason: you sound like you would enjoy yourself more. this makes it easier to be passionate about it in interviews, essays, and anywhere else it may come up.

If med school is the goal, then you want to focus on making your application as strong as possible.

How are your UG grades, both science and overall?
Have you taken the MCAT?

As Q stated, you need to focus on getting direct patient contact. The EM program you described sounds good. Just try to start doing something where you get some time in each week. You need a year or two (200-400 hours) to demonstrate you know what you are getting into. It's also a good thing for yourself. Make sure you like being around sick people before you go down this road.

You already have plenty of research experience, so neither job will help you that much in getting into med school. Take the one that you will enjoy. I'd go with option 2, as it sounds like you want a break from research.

The keys to getting into med school are: 3.5+ UG, 30+ MCAT, good clinical experience.

Make sure you have all these before you worry about anything else.

My undergrad GPA was 3.9 overall and 3.95 in the sciences. I got all A's in the prereqs.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I plan on taking it in early 2009. I am sitting in on Chem and Physics classes while I finish up my PhD to help me re-learn the material (and reading the books too). Then, I will start a prep class in fall. However, I'll probably look at some prep material before fall comes.

As you pointed out, I would probably enjoy a break from research so that is why doing something like consulting would be good.

I think the main reason why I was thinking about doing research was because I am interested in surgery (specifically orthopaedic or plastic) and I was thinking about doing research with an MD or MD/PhD surgeon (there is one in my department) to help establishing connections that could be important down the line in the match since both fields are very competitive. However, I also recognize that I could just be the "naive pre-med" and end being attracted towards something entirely different once I start med school. In this case, doing orthopaedic or plastics research would help very little. I also thought that it might help with establishing connections at some of the top schools and thus help with med schoo admissions, although I've read on SDN that it does not always work out that way.

Thank you for the feedback!

Just wanted to make sure your UG grades were in order.
Focus on getting clinical experience and studying for the MCAT.
Make sure you take a bunch of practice tests to gauge your progress.
You'll have no problem getting in with a good score.

I'd spend my time trying to save up some money. That will be in short supply once you start med school.

Hi,

I've posted here before, but I'll sum up my experience as follows:

I am a current PhD student in bioengineering (specifically bio-nanotechnology) and I will be finishing up by the end of the summer. When I started my PhD, I was planning to go into the business side of science, either by starting a company or being involved in some other part of the entrepreneurship process. For example, for many years, I was planning to get a JD or JD/MBA after my PhD and go from there. However, during my PhD, I realized that I had a passion for medicine even though I still had somewhat of an entrepreneurial spirit.

So, here I am, about to finish my PhD with the idea of starting med school in Fall 2010.

I can think of 2 things to do between my PhD and med school:

(1) Work in a lab of a medical school faculty member doing research.
Pros: Help me get into medical school (perhaps at the one where I do research), more publications, good LOR, more opportunities for shadowing
Cons: I would not mind a break from research, low pay, no exposure to the real world and to what else is out there, still in academia

(2) Healthcare/biotech consulting
Pros: good money, exposure to the business side of medicine (which could be beneficial), satisfy my interet in business (and see if it is really more than just an interest), be able to save up money for med school (probably close to 80-100K) if I live like a student
Cons: may not help as much with getting in medical school, probably less friendly to medical school application process

With regards to consulting, I am specifically looking at a firm for which my friend recruits. The firm is known for more reasonable hours (she frequently works 8/9 - 6, unless she has deadlines) and she only travels about once every 3 weeks. I would probably make less than I would at a larger firm, but working here would allow me more time for my med school apps as well as clinical experience. etc.

Any other ideas would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Based on my shortcomings....

1) Make sure your papers are out, in print-formatted, and you have galleys/reprints for interviews. Everybody sees through the "work in progress/submitted/etc" B.S. and it takes a good 6 months to get a pub out (after reviews, revisions, etc. etc. etc.) Best if you are 1st author on at least one of those pubs (even if you have to go the extra mile-such as doing ALL the work for your advisor)

2) Do one heavy duty volunteer gig-EMT training seems logical, but anything else could work. Make the transition seem logical

3) Get the consulting gig set-you might be able to use it again in the summers in med school, perhaps once in a blue moon during the year.

4) Realize that a Ph.D. carries little weight with ADCOMS. Use the time to shore up anything wrong with undergrad (a few more classes to round out/pump up GPA)

Good luck!