What to do during commute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RequiredName

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering: What resources do you recommend for the commute to and from med school?

I've tried googling this question and what usually pops up are pieces of advice as to whether commuting is a positive or negative. I'm not looking for that type of advice; due to family responsibilities, I am definitely commuting. But, I am having a hard time getting a list of recommendations on what to buy, download, or do to make commute time productive. I'll have about 45 min one-way.

Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I started listening to podcasts like the curbsiders and the undifferentiated medical student when I start to forget why I was excited to get into med school to begin with. Goljan audio is old, but I like it (seems like it doesn't conflict with info from my school thus far).

I started listening to podcasts like the curbsiders and the undifferentiated medical student when I start to forget why I was excited to get into med school to begin with. Goljan audio is old, but I like it (seems like it doesn't conflict with info from my school thus far).
Awesome. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Music <3

Time to relax and prepare for the school day ahead...
Time to unwind after an intense day of content...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my first year. I have about a 10-20 minute commute (more or less depending on traffic). I tend to use that time to listen to music and relax. I have classmates who will download lectures or YouTube videos and listen to them in the car to study. For me, my commute and my daily run are the times I set aside to not study or do anything school related to clear my mind.

Reactions: 1 user
I will have a 30-40 minute commute as well, and I am probably going to either listen to music or an audio book (for leisure, not study) on the way to class most days. If I have an exam, I may listen to a lecture or something related to the material.

Music <3

Time to relax and prepare for the school day ahead...
Time to unwind after an intense day of content...

This. Take the time for yourself to decompress and get ready for afternoon/evening of studying ahead.

I had a 2.5 hour commute on Fridays and Sundays. I'd listen to lecture recordings or youtube videos that pertained to what I was doing. 3rd year, It was Online MedEd videos.