What to do during second gap year? Masters?

Started by Masttt91
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Masttt91

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Next year will be presumably my second gap year. I applied (mostly DO, some MD) after graduating college last may, but my applications were extremely late. My stats were okay/not great (3.51cGPa, 25 MCAT). I plan on retaking the mcat this spring. As for next year I'm not really sure what I can do to fill up my time. Even though I feel like I'm being productive, I'm getting pretty restless and I don't think I can go another year without taking classes. Which is why I'm considering doing a SMP or an accelerated masters program, while I reapply for the 2016 cycle.

If I don't do an SMP I thought I might get an MPH, an MBA, or maybe a traditional masters program in a related science field, anything that will at least somewhat benefit me in the future. I really just don't want to feel like I'm wasting another year. Any thoughts?
 
Try the LMU MS in Biomedical Science SMP. Take the 3 DO courses (along with other graduate level courses) and if you get B or higher and get accepted to LMU-DCOM, you don't have to repeat them whereas other SMP DO/MD you have to retake all of them. It's almost like a 5yr plan if you do well. You would have to TA the Anatomy class I think as an OMS-1A. Hopefully, they don't change this policy. There's a thread in the Post-Bacc forum.
 
The linked smp is a decent idea if you nail it. If you bomb/fail though you are pretty done with

Did you apply to all the newer DO schools? Your stats are reasonable to have gotten in